Do you think it is faster going the other route or should I rather take the old route because I drive thru the night? 13 Best Stops on the Denver to Las Vegas Drive - Divergent Travelers To get to Salida from Denver will be 2.5-hour drive. What about the altitude/Altitude sickness? It takes approximately 6h 33m to drive from Denver to Durango. Located 60 miles west of Denver, this incredible highway is the highest paved road in North America. briken - Denver to Durango is about 403 mi. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. Colorado Road Trip - Denver, Mesa Verde, Durango and more Watch carefully for deer early mornings and twilight! Your best and most scenic route from Denver to Durango tends to be 285 South, though you could also choose to go straight south from Denver on Interstate 25. Make yourself known to an official member of staff and/or call the national coronavirus helpline number on 800-232-4636. A ride on this tram takes you up to some of the best possible views of the Continental Divide, and it does it in a speedy fashion that makes this viable even as a short stop. The Million Dollar Highway is a scenic section of the US-550 highway which runs north to south. If youve never gone mountain biking before, then this is a perfect place to try it out. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-13326355', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Denver to catch a 10 flight. This trail can be completed either as a loop or an out-and-back from the trailhead across La Garita Street near the gas station. If you're planning a road trip to Denver, you can research locations to stop along the way. We extended it to a full loop: Boulder Canyon Drive up to Nederland, Highway 72 from Nederland to Highway 7 just south of Rocky Mountain National Park, Highway 7 back over to Highway 36, and then back down to Boulder. This is a no-brainer as a stop for skiers and snowboarders traveling in the winter, but the Wolf Creek area between South Fork and Durango is also worth keeping in mind as a stop for travelers even in mid-summer. Adding to all the chaos, Colorado drivers arent exactly known for their set of skills out on the roads and youll find more of those drivers in the Denver metro area than anywhere else. Additional terms apply. Standard tickets are only $10 for adults, and this area also has a lot of great trails for hiking in the warmer parts of the year. What are the travel restrictions in Durango? As mentioned before, we at Mild to Wild know Durango like the back of our hands, and we have so many other recommendations for your visit. Although its fine to just drive through this small town, if you have an extra day or two on your trip, we recommend spending it in Pagosa Springs. From Durango, we flew back to Denver, instead of driving back. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-13122554', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Denver to Pagosa Springs by car. Centers for Disease control and prevention (CDC), Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Durango, Holiday Inn & Suites Durango Downtown, an IHG Hotel, Denver to Pikes Peak Center for the Performing Arts, Glendale Los Angeles County CA USA to Durango CO USA, Petrified Forest National Park to Durango CO USA, There is a social distancing requirement of 2 metres. Aspen vs Vail vs Breckenridge: Which Colorado Town to Visit? Aetna is Monarch Mountain Resort. Prices and availability are subject to change. Denver to Durango drive: which route? : Durango - reddit Dont let snowy roads put a damper on your adventure plans. If youre planning an escape to Durango in southwestern Colorado, a road trip will lead you through some historic miningtowns, scenic overlooks worthy of a stop, and unique hot springs that youll definitely be able to smell as you make your approach. Perhaps most amazing about this historic site is that the rock pinnacles for which Chimney Rock gets its name frame multiple astronomical alignment points. $206 Cheap Flights from Denver (DEN) to Durango (DGO) Bundle Your Flight + Hotel & Save! So, pack your bags, fasten your seatbelts, and get ready to hit the road on this Denver to Durango loop road trip! Outdoor seating areas are especially nice for sampling the beverages and entrees at either one. Although its a small mountain town, its bursting at the seams with history, scenery, and adventure opportunities. If you drove there from Albuquerque it would take you about half as long. Check out our Denver to Aspen drive & Denver to Moab road trip articles! The train route links Silverton and Durango, and you can even book a seat in a private car. The bus leaves Denver at 6:45 a.m. and arrives in Durango at 7:10 p.m. Durango High School, also known as the Durango 9-R Administration Building, is a former school in Durango, Colorado. Ice and snow-caked roads, highways, and mountain passes make for dangerous and hazardous driving conditions across the state. If you need to rent a car for this trip, you can check out Rentalcars.com which aggregates deals across suppliers. It stretches from Denver to Durango across the Southern Rockies and can be hiked in 25-35 days. There will be some mountain driving whichever route you take, but there's no need to be scared. We tackled this whole itinerary in 3 nights but you would be better served to spend at least double that amount of time. Can I get to Rocky Mountain National Park without a car? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-75869024', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Denver Airport and we are supposed to go to Durango by car. Assuming you choose the route through the mountains on 285, youll still be on a paved highway for practically the entire timedepending on your chosen stopsso theres no major need for a high-clearance, 4-wheel drive sort of vehicle. If youre traveling on slippery or snowy roads, use caution, slow down, and please, take it easy on the brakes. And if budget is a factor in your trip planning and you're looking for the cheapest way to travel, you could take a Greyhound bus to Durango. Click here to see their availability, The Salida Inn & Hostel If youre traveling on a bit of a tighter budget, then this inn and hostel is an excellent choice. You can also rent ATVs and off-road vehicles in town if you prefer to not take your own car. Grand Junction To Dinosaur It serves as one of the main routes to Colorados ski country including Vail, Aspen, Winter Park, Keystone, and Breckenridge. Additional terms apply. The best way to get from Denver to Denver Airport is to train which takes 37 min and costs 4,100-14,000. The shorter one (US285 south and US160 west), more scenic, has more mountains. To get to Salida from Denver will be 2.5-hour drive. If youre looking to stretch your legs and get a good hike in while in Creede, the locals recommend checking out the Up and Over trail. Should probably count on 7 - 7.5 hrs - not easy to make really good time in the mountains. Some of the road trip highlights include stops in Frisco, Ouray, Buena Vista, or Pagosa Hot Springs, each of which offers plenty of outdoor adventure. This is a beautiful and quicker drive. Do I have to wear a face mask on public transport in Durango? Denver to Pagosa Springs - Durango Forum - Tripadvisor It takes approximately 12h 2m to get from Denver to Durango, including transfers. The museum opened on February 23, 2011 in what was once a power plant. While the quickest route between these two cities would take a fast driver 12 hours to complete without stopping, we suggest taking it slow and enjoying everything there is to see on the way. How long will the journey be and what is the fastest route? Thank you :) We are travelling with 3 children from (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Take a tour from Durango and let someone else drive! The longer one (I-25 south, US160 west) involves faster driving and more traffic. We know what youre thinking: sand dunes in Colorado? Toll Free: 800-567-6745, Colorados capital city has something for everyone: great food, impressive history, beautiful views, and plenty of adventure opportunities close by! This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. Informacin detallada del sitio web y la empresa: caudesucre.com Cau de sucre - blog de repostera creativa, recetas dulces y mucha fotografa! Driving Time from Denver, CO to Durango, CO - Travelmath You might think about adding handicap information for some of the stops. For more information, see our privacy policy. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Join our mailing list for discounts, special events, and more. Alternatively, Outdoorsy is an option if you prefer to rent an RV or campervan. Mountain Goat Lodge This boutique bed and breakfast is an excellent option if youre after a bit of luxury while driving to Durango. Monument to fallen snowplow drivers. Rome2rio displays up to date schedules, route maps, journey times and estimated fares from relevant transport operators, ensuring you can make an informed decision about which option will suit you best. Again. Drive to Colorado Springs on Interstate 25 and on through Pueblo to Walsenburg where you'll take Hwy 160 west. Unless youre making this drive in the mid-summer months of June to August, its a good idea to travel with plenty of warm layers. However, you can take the bus to Grand Valley Downtown Transfer Station, take the drive to Montrose Airport, take the shuttle to Telluride, take the taxi to Silverton, CO, then take the shuttle to Durango, CO. Alternatively, you can take the bus to Grand Valley Downtown Transfer Station, take the drive to Montrose Airport, take the shuttle to Telluride, take the taxi to Silverton, then take the train to Durango, CO. Rome2rio's Travel Guide series provide vital information for the global traveller. Wolf Creek Pass in CO: Beware of the wolf - Dangerousroads.org Good coffee is also scarce along that route until you get to Durango. You know what? If concerts and shows arent your scene, no problem! This is a great introduction to Colorados famous fourteeners and provides extraordinary views thatll redefine what you classify as a scenic byway.. Before heading out, visit cotrip.org for the latest road conditions and closures. From there, make a right onto US-50 E (passing back through Salida) and follow that for 70 miles until you reach Penrose. I'd judge the least "scary" of the three to be I-25/US160. The Colorado Trail is a 485-mile point-to-point backpacking route in Colorado. One of your first possible stops between Denver and Durango after youve merged onto US 285 South is the Tiny Town & Railroad thats just a short distance down South Turkey Creek Road. For a more complete guide on the hike, check out this, If high-alpine hikes arent your jazz, another great place to explore near Salida is, Crested Butte is hands-down one of the coolest places to check out in Colorado. The creekside hot spring pools here are naturally divided with river rocks to range in temperature from 70 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 49 degrees Celsius), so you can even temper your experience by relaxing in the pool thats closest to your personal heat preferences. What should I do if I have COVID-19 symptoms when I arrive in Durango? Click here to see their availability, Siesta Motel If youre looking for some more budget-friendly accommodation options, then this motel is a geat choice. Thank you :) There will be some mountain driving whichever route you take, but there's no need to be scared. If we could only recommend two things (as has been established as the pattern of this post), then the first wed recommend is a rafting trip on the Lower Animas river. What is the national COVID-19 helpline number in Durango? Either way there is only one high pass to cross (Wolf Creek, mentioned above), and I wouldn't call it scary. Two-wheel drive cars can certainly make this gravel-road route, but its recommended to drive the loop backwards if your vehicle isnt great off-road. Colorados capital city has something for everyone: great food, impressive history, beautiful views, and plenty of adventure opportunities close by! Answer (1 of 3): I agree with Alan about I-70 and I-80. Ultimate Million Dollar Highway Road Trip Guide: Durango to Ouray This is the route Google Maps will give you. Camping, backpacking, and hiking opportunities abound in this area once the snow melts in the summertime. These springs are perfect for an evening soak when the day starts to cool and you want to settle down to reflect on the days adventure accomplishments. Monarch Pass winds beautifully into the mountains at 11,312 feet along the Continental Divide between Gunnison and Poncha Springs, located just 20 minutes from Salida. The United States Census Bureau reported a population of 16,887 in the 2010 census. The alternate route out of Denver and straight down I-25 South is about 385 miles in total distance and will take drivers closer to six and a half hours. 10 Best Stops on a Denver to Moab Road Trip. Thai place in Poncha Springs and Lost Cajun in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? (easiest one, no scary mountain driving haha), and if you can suggest good places to stop and eat? 'A little scary': Iditarod begins with smallest field ever I'd judge the least "scary" of the three to be I-25/US160. Of the collegiate peaks, Mount Princeton is designated as one of the easiest to climb. Regular fuel costs are around $3.96 per gallon for your trip. Private Vacation Rental There are a number of great properties to choose from in Salida such as this beautiful secluded log cabin if youre looking for a peaceful getaway. See what its like to plow this dangerous road here. The quickest way to get from Denver to Durango is to fly and shuttle which costs 300,000-800,000 and takes 5h 24m. Whichever option you choose, you find incredible scenery unlike anything else in Colorado. Recommended Road Trip Length: 7 days. The Strater Hotel Located in downtown Durango, this beautiful historic hotel is an excellent option for those looking for a bit of a splurge. The total cost of driving from Denver, CO to Durango, CO (one-way) is $53.28 at current gas prices. Truckers are required to have chains and passenger vehicles must have either snow tires, mud/snow tires, chains, or an alternative device like an autosock. These are both safe routes. Traffic on I-70. Planning other road trips from Denver? It may be a bit random and unexpected, but thats what makes Great Sand Dunes National Park so awesome! You have permission to edit this article. Am I allowed to travel from Denver to Durango? * Head out of Crested Butte the way you came in down CO-135 N and then make a right onto US-50 W for 65 miles until you reach the town of Montrose. Denver --> independence pass --> Aspen --> Ouray --> Red mountain pass --> Durango. The town of Salida is an excellent option, as it is a good halfway point between Denver and Durango and has lots of interesting things on offer. This somewhat low-key park is simply jaw-dropping. Cheyenne . ', 'Do the trains and buses have Wifi?' The drive from Denver, Colorado, to Las Vegas, Nevada, is a drive of epic proportions. This option is best to keep in mind for the rafting season of May through August when the mountain snowmelt levels are in their prime. Hi Diane, The drive from Denver to Aspen takes about 4 hours (if there isn't a lot of traffic). The most straightforward choice for the least amount of time on the road is to simply take I-70 West out of Denver, which is the only main highway you need to follow on this drive until making an exit at Highway 9 just 10 to 15 minutes before you arrive at Breckenridge. However, you can also drive up the scenic road yourself, join a guided bus tour, or even take a train to the top! Heavy snow slams Northeast; storm cleanup begins in South $242 Cheap Flights from Denver (DEN) to Durango (DGO) - Expedia Answer 1 of 6: My friends and I are coming from Europe to Denver Airport and we are supposed to go to Durango by car. Were Michael and Maggie, an Australian and American couple travelling the world. Click here to browse more Salida hotels! Stretching from Utah, through Colorado and all the way out to Maryland, I-70 is a famous interstate highway that is widely used every day for local and interstate travel. Apart from being the Wildflower Capital of Colorado, Crested Butte is where mountain biking got its start in Colorado. You'll ride on a historic, coal-fired train that travels the same tracks as the miners, cowboys, and settlers who came to the Wild West did more than 100 years ago. Its actually closer to Albuquerque than Denver as its not far from the New Mexico border. Pack your hiking boots and a rain jacket as well if you plan on stopping at hiking trails or national parks and monuments like the Great Sand Dunes and Chimney Rock National Monument in the San Juan Forest. The Map Start: Denver to Manitou Springs/Colorado Springs While I-25. All three cross Wolf Creek Pass on US160, which is truly scary only if your brakes fail on the way down. Which route is the best? Head out of town along US-160 E for 102 miles until you reach South Fork. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. Brittany is an award-winning journalist based in Denver where she has lived and worked for more than a decade. Designated drivers beware and drink responsibly, as youve still got a lot of highway to go on this Denver to Durango road trip. Colorado, United States. Need we say more? From Sand Dunes, head west on US160 over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa. When you reach the summit of Red Mountain Pass, you will be standing at an elevation of 11,018 ft. Legend has it that the name Million Dollar Highway comes from the 1920s cost to build the highway at over $1 million a mile. Rome2rio uses cookies to help personalize content and show you personalised ads. This 17-mile historic loop takes you to several abandoned mines in-between beautiful scenic vistas. and leave at 3:05 pm. Editors Note: Never speed. Rome2rio also offers online bookings for selected operators, making reservations easy and straightforward. The quickest flight from Denver Airport to Durango Airport is the direct flight which takes 1h 19m. I would say the "scariest" would be to take US160 over Wolf Creek pass - especially in winter.. Durango is the county seat and the most populous municipality of La Plata County, Colorado, United States. Theres a lot of great terrain here for skiers of all skill levels in the wintertime, with everything from black diamond tree runs to easy, gradual glades and trails on the slopes that descend from Monarch Pass. But I need to leave here at midnight. Rome2rio displays up to date schedules, route maps, journey times and estimated fares from relevant transport operators, ensuring you can make an informed decision about which option will suit you best.