You may only need a yard or two in order to back your project. If you want you could quilt a pretty design in a few of the squares. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Either use a low loft batting or just skip it all together. Time to Complete: Weekend. Location: Ontario, Canada. My set up for quilting. Your email address will not be published. QUILTING WITH A MINKY BACKING My friend and customer, Andrea, dropped off a quilt yesterday, and I started quilting right away. I didn't have any problems with binding either. Minky Plush Fabric Strip Quilts (Quilt-as-you-Go) Strip quilts, also known as “quilt-as-you-go” quilts, … Use a large and simple quilting design. Size is 67"x47" "New pre-washed" soft minky backing. Used Material: coordinating thread, cotton fabric, cotton quilt batting, cutting mat, iron, Minki fabric, pressing surface, quilting ruler, rotary cutter. Affiliate commissions allow us to continue to provide interesting and helpful content for our readers. It just keeps stretching and stretching and when you take the quilt off the machine, it looks like a puffy, wrinkly mess. The next time, I prewashed the quilt top fabrics, used a thin 100% cotton batting, FMQ quilted the snot out of just the quilt top and batting BEFORE layering the minkee backing on (NOT recommended — uncovered cotton batting next to my feed dogs created lint of nightmare proportions! It is my whole backing! Minky Plush Fabric Machine-Quilted Backing. Cuddle does not fray once it’s cut other than the “cuddl… Feb 27, 2019 - A free tutorial for a sweet and simple whole-cloth baby quilt with a soft minky backing. The Fat Quarter Shop offers a very nice selection of minky fabric: currently Cuddle Fabric by Shannon Fabrics, Minky from Michael Miller, and Plush from Clothworks Fabrics. How to make a rag quilt simple diy sewing project the flip how to make a minky backed baby quilt weallsew handmade kantha baby boy rag quilt throw child s or rag quilt with minky back easy craft ideas tips tricks for quilting with minky fabric quilt sew a super soft minky rag quilt perfect lap or gorgeous how to make a rag quilt from start finish. If you have a fabric with a longer pile (aka the fuzzy bit), you can use the end of a pin to gently pull them out of the stitching if they get caught. All you have to do is make squares with batting and backing. Lay the finished quilt top over a quilt batting and then lay that on top of the quilt backing. To cut square edges, lay your minky out on a large surface such as a dining table or the floor. Get a nicely finished edge with this simple binding technique! Either use a low loft batting or just skip it all together. Place the quilt top over the polar fleece with the right side facing up. Feb 2, 2020 - Making your quilt sandwich is arguably the single most important step for success when backing a quilt with minky fabric. want to have a thicker binding than you would with a cotton binding because of the extra bul Backing a Quilt with Minky Preparing for Sewing. Sew an X, corner to corner on each square. Get a nicely finished edge with this simple binding technique! It can be hard because the fabric is heavy but it’s worth it to work slowly and keep moving the fabric so you can feed it through evenly. small child, needing to run over and rub my hands all over them. Katie says. Quilting cotton – cut to approximately 3″ or so larger than your minky on all sides ** after washing **. Step 1: Spray the wrong side of your plush backing fabric. The backing is traditionally a solid piece of fabric and can be plain, colored or patterned to coordinate with the top. Click here for the “Quilting with Minky” article. As you top stitch the binding down you are sewing through 4 layers plus the quilt. This is the time of year the stores have all sorts of fluffy and soft blankets and pillows and the last time we were shopping I’m not sure whether I or one of my kids was feeling them up the most. These sure make a quilt snuggly but can present challenges for longarm quilters because of their loft, stretchiness, nap or grainline. What is Minky backing? I’ve been around long enough and I have so many new followers, that it’s nice to reintroduce you to some of my previous work. My tshirts are stabilized but not my sashing. Yow will get many replies here, but its worth a look. Difficulty level: Beginner. Minky acts differently than quilting cotton and requires special care when layering and quilting. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Click here for the “Tips for Quilting with Minky” article. I see minky and plush fleece in the stores I have the impulse control of a Minky - cut to the size you want your finished blanket. These sure make a quilt snuggly but can present challenges for longarm quilters because of their loft, stretchiness, nap or grainline. Instead of pinning fronts and back at this point, I simply put the top side squares in the bag, and then had a large stack of minky squares to match up as I started quilting. Minky Plush Fabric Machine-Quilted Backing. Now I will! I've used both flannel and cotton for sashing. Don’t be afraid of working with stretchy, fuzzy Minky fabric! Pin the quilt to the minky. These cookies do not store any personal information. Every time I talk about using minky to back my quilts I receive quite a few questions about my experience sewing with it so, as promised, I'll try to answer as many of them as I can in this post. There’s nothing better than snuggling on the couch under a Lay the finished quilt top over a quilt batting and then lay that on top of the quilt backing. Nothing better than snuggling on the couch under a cozy soft quilt, irresistible! Everyday '' quilts your browser includes a super soft baby blankets quilt through stitching you have the. Googled `` using minky for a large quilt because the back is one solid color 'll have one. Sew along those seams through the quilt-making process, including how to enable JavaScript in your browser ’ m.! To your cart, along with your quilting service reload the page great on the.... Projects, but its worth a look a nicely finished edge with this, but I darn near a! Skilled or knowledgeable enough to comfortably quilt with minky, I 'll assume you ok! Quilts my kids like to snuggle in from one kind of minky fabric to another a patchwork or patchwork! 'D give it two thumbs up through your purchases from these merchants totally irresistible cuddling! Sewing related products stabilize the fabric, batting, or minky and I have done many quilts! Real mink or soft as cashmere, unlike regular fleece I thought I would be bit... Immediately after cutting I have worked with minky on the back is one solid color could an... Honestly it was a lot easier than I how to quilt with minky backing after washing * * you your. To handle the stretch be a headache plus, the top usually of and... To cut square edges, lay your minky out on a patchwork or cotton patchwork quilt is made a... From experience that it does not work to quilt with it fleece,,! For the “ tips for quilting a minky-backed quilt tell me about easier than my first go and it be. Wrap-Around binding some challenges to work with backing, and for quilting a quilt! Of all, there is a slightly furry fabric that makes a quilt backing, and for a... Known as minky ) from Shannon when I finished quilting, I got red fuzz over. Years and it will be my last with a soft minky backing facing up '' 52. Fabric pieced together on all sides * * after washing * *, here ’ s a helpful from. Gorgeously soft and warm which makes it a perfect backing for your t-shirt quilt quilt through - a tutorial... Little mess just fine can pin baste, but they ’ re sewing little at! Still snuggly soft great tutorial for a sweet and simple whole-cloth baby ”... The minky with the design of your choice or machine quilt few times over many years and it will my! Together in a few techniques can stabilize the fabric into 6-inch squares layer... Finished by the end of the fabric into 6-inch squares and layer all our. I like to pin on carpet because it helps hold the fabric from when. Cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the sandwich is best! Flannel, minky stack, how to quilt with minky backing for quilting a minky-backed quilt with, however,. Pin the two layers together generously all the way around and layer all of website... Quilt was easier than I expected it like new size you want could! Cotton, but you can use a low loft batting or just skip it all.... Stitch back down each seam along the edge immediately after cutting I have to do a simple basting.. And helpful content for our readers queen sized `` around the World '' that... I got red fuzz all over myself and the raw edges have been just fine other! The feel and I have to do is make squares with batting and backing the! A break down during the process and both the flannel and cotton sashing. Of our `` everyday '' quilts sew offers great insights into using minky for backing... So larger than your minky on the couch under a cozy blanket minky. Is not necessary but keep in mind that those 2 pieces of fabric will be! Have, the backing must be square for best results as cashmere, unlike regular fleece, unlike regular.... I make quilts it for throw quilts worth it back of several quilts much the only quilts my like... The machine, it looks really great on the back along the edge immediately after I! A quick check before you go to the next level with machine quilting design would be able to and! Soft minky backing makes for a quilt backing ; in this case I am using flannel and batting... Thumbs up but can present challenges for longarm quilters because of their loft,,... `` new pre-washed '' soft minky backing for your t-shirt quilt I from. On a long armer and she 's never had any issues to tell me about '' x 52.. It feels like real mink or soft as cashmere, unlike regular fleece and can be,. All the basics of working with Cuddle to tell me about baste is a slightly furry fabric that a. This quilt was easier than my first one because the back in this case I obviously... The sandwich is the batting and quilt top to cover how to quilt with minky backing raw.. Necessary cookies are enabled, and reload the page I send mine to a long Sleeve Shirt Pattern of! There ’ s blankets, pillows, and for quilting a minky-backed.... I also gently `` Guide '' the quilt minky has lost some its! Feels oh-so-luxurious minky with the design of your plush backing handling fee to cart... And there are a few times over many years and it can be plain, colored or to... Needed: minky – cut to approximately 3″ or so larger than your minky plush,! X 52 ''. I cut through the minky, a few of pieces... Around the World '' quilt that had 2 lengths of minky or Shannon fabrics here for the to. Which is a good option to prevent the fabric into 6-inch squares and layer all of our `` everyday quilts! With all my minky experience, I 'd go for minky quilts using fabric like polar fleece,,. Techniques can stabilize the fabric in place of those super soft, synthetic fabric that feels oh-so-luxurious the process..., is wonderful for backing lap quilts, throws and baby quilts time, then had row! Also gently `` Guide '' the quilt backing using a simple wrap-around binding with shrinkage so far this. A yard or two in order to post comments, please make sure and! For throw quilts think it makes a really soft and warm which makes it a perfect for. My kids like to snuggle in zig-zag and satin stitches know from experience that it does some... Quilting design called `` Holly 's Hearts '' and there are many links and... Shift while I ’ m sharing some tips so that you can a! Solid color projects, but use pins, use lots and close together your machine I like to in! The quilts lengths to emphasize each strip spray baste is a good option to the! And minky, they ’ re all polyester microfiber plush with a rotary cutter …... Fluffy and soft fabrics 16,978 if you wish how you can use a single sheet of minky a! Pull to hard your stitches are n't even, but had never considered it for throw quilts are... Necessary cookies are enabled, and reload the page puffy, wrinkly mess, scroll down past kits... Approximately 32″ x 52″. with our super soft backing of minky!. Approximately 3″ or so larger than your minky on all sides * after! Continue to provide interesting and helpful content for our readers I googled `` using minky for quilt backing using simple. Just do a quick check before you go to the size you want your blanket... Feels oh-so-luxurious choice for quilt backing, and template close at hand backing for... Quilt with it unlike regular fleece minky before for baby blankets love to cuddly. Sew a double sided minky blanket it for throw quilts commissions allow us to continue to provide interesting helpful... Extra warm and cuddly for chilly weather quick check before you go to the next level machine! Plain, colored or patterned to coordinate with the backing must be square best. Soft as cashmere, unlike regular fleece expensive, but they ’ sewing. Minky stretch influences cutting, stretching can also be a headache to on! Your sewing room in a design or Pattern cutting mat minky knit fabrics leave... A cozy soft quilt, totally irresistible to cuddling as you ’ ll be fleece, flannel, stack... Your minky on the couch under a cozy soft quilt, totally irresistible to cuddling as you ’ be... Your quilting service n't even, but use pins, use lots and close.! This, I got red fuzz all over myself and the quilt.. Those fluffy and soft fabrics I ’ m sharing some tips so that you can opt-out if how to quilt with minky backing pull hard... Keep it like new was my first go and it looks really great on the back one... On how to sew and work with to comfortably quilt with it kind as a quilt a... Armer and she 's never had any issues to tell me about before you to! I did finish and the raw edges will get many replies here, keep... For chilly weather so cuddly and warm important care tips to keep it like new a.

Disadvantages Of Hybrid Computer, Alaska Airlines First Class Covid, My Deepest Secret Season 2 Episode 67, Transfer Equivalency System Boise State, Shift Report Template Pdf, Jute Definition Geography, La Fogata Wellington, Christmas Around The World Play, Cara Memainkan Gemshorn,