For 12TB, 8 Platters/16 Heads = PMR, 6/12 = SMR. WD Red 2TB, 4TB and 6TB NAS Hard Drives Use SMR / DM-SMR. I tried to phrase it as that I'm a customer who wants to use TRIM support and believes I have a SMR drive and mentions the specific model number. It'd make them way better. WD CONFIRMS 12TB easystore(wd120emfz) NOT SMR. Good luck getting specs with even platter/head counts for their drives. To start with, the WD Easystore range of hard drives are only available through Best Buy. The WD120EMAZ is approximately 30g lighter than the EMFZ drive - but that may just be because the EMFZ has an extra platter for 14TB rather than the EMAZ being SMR. Joined Nov 7, 2019 Messages 4. THEY ARE PLAYING THE SAME GAME WITH THE RED INTERNALS . I know WD got in trouble for not disclosing SMR on many of their drives.. Nov 2, 2020 #34 B. bigddybn Supreme [H]ardness. Good, now let's hope this spreads around the sub as quickly as it did when one guy speculated that the drive might be SMR (based on who knows what) and it became fact for a couple of weeks. It turns out that WD has also been using SMR technology since last 2016 in … The WD – Easystore 4TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive is a great solution for backing up large files. There is no conceivable excuse not to tell you straight if the WD60EFAX is or isn't SMR. WD publishes complete list of SMR drives following user backlash Check to see if you've bought a slower WD model for your NAS By Humza Aamir on April 24, 2020, 8:11 20 comments. We can hypothesize that there is a negative impact, but it is better to show it. Since WD isn't giving much information about these here's what I know. Is there someone else on your team who may have this information and would be able to assist me further?". Just shucked 4 from Best Buy - 3 were WD120EMFZs and one WD120EMAZ. Our data shows that the disk drives WD 8TB Easystore WD80EZAZ are NOT based on SMR technology, the disk drives are based on CMR. Neither the WD120EMFZ or WD120EMAZ drives I own support TRIM. So thank you WD for replying my questions and had to sadly inform me the fact that I don't have a SMR drive. They set the bar low and aren't transparent about anything. Value For Money. WD Easystore WDBCKA0040HBK - hard drive - 4 TB - USB 3.0 overview and full product specs on CNET. 'host-managed' smr drives exist, but hgst is basically the only vendor and paradoxically the drives are more expensive even though they're simpler devices because market segmentation. The only 8TB drives WD sells are red, purple and gold. The WD Blue 2.5" HDD series that feature the SMR technology is the 1 TB drive, and the 2 TB drive while from the WD Black 2.5" HDD series only has a single drive that uses the SMR technology, which is the 1 TB drive. How did they come to this conclusion. Included WD Discovery™ software 2 makes it easy to back up your photos, videos, and documents to the easystore portable drive. WD Easystore 4TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive WDBAJP0040BBK-WESN -Black. This site has a list of the internals by model # https://rml527.blogspot.com/2010/10/hdd-platter-database-western-digital-35_9883.html My guess is you got the answer you did because no one genuine knows if they are using both techs in the same model number, and with external drives you don't even get to know for certain what model # you end up with. Okay, a little more digging and I noticed on all WD drives the last 3 digits of the R/N corresponds to the drive size. That’s most likely why WD formatted this way from factory. So I don't believe these are SMR. If you're running a raid with parity distributed across all drives, any time any file changes, every drive has to write and SMR drives can hold the whole thing up. WD120EMAZ - R/N: US7SAM120 - this appears to be a white label 12TB Red WD120EFAX - which is itself a relabeled UltraStar HC520 spinning at a slower speed (and surely other changes). The R/N is similar, one letter different, US7SA M 140 instead of US7SA P 140. I had considered buying some SMR drives for (effectively) WORM memory, but there's no way the price is worth dealing with that crap. WD has been caught fudging specs more than a few times, just one more reason I prefer Seagate. WD Easystore 14TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black WDBAMA0140HBK-NESN $238.50. Last edited: Nov 7, 2019. WD Red 4TB WD40EFAX (SMR) WD40EFAX. The WD Elements Desktop Hard Drive. For more information please refer the link mentioned below: What Kind of Hard Drive is Inside a Western Digital External Product? Please be informed that the information about the drive is whether use Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) or Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR), is not something that we typically provide to our customers. Customers who bought this item also bought. Only 3 left in stock - order soon. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the DataHoarder community. I have some that I solely use for storing media on unRAID where data isn’t striped across the array. Testing the WD Red 4TB SMR WD40EFAX Drive. The R/N is similar, one letter different, US7SA M 140 instead of US7SA P 140. SMR or shingled magnetic recording makes for … I'm running 8x 5TB SMR's (ZFS Mirror) and they're great.. until you write in previously written territory or overwrite. It's called Shitty Magnetic Recording for a reason.. Except if they think (probably correctly) still enough people would be tricked by this. As someone who works in customer service and tech support jobs, that's how I'd reply. If something goes wrong and you lose power before that cache is written to slow slow disk, your array needs to be rebuilt. WD – easyStore 4TB Disque Dur Externe USB 3.0 – Noir: Amazon.fr: Informatique Choisir vos préférences en matière de cookies Nous utilisons des cookies et des outils similaires pour faciliter vos achats, fournir nos services, pour comprendre comment les clients utilisent nos services afin de pouvoir apporter des améliorations, et pour présenter des annonces. News emerged last week that WD, Seagate and Toshiba are all shipping hard drives using Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR), a slower form of HDD technology that can result in … Avoid it at all costs unless it's less than HALF the cost of a normal drive. Western Digital gets sued for sneaking SMR disks into its NAS channel WD clearly underestimated the consumer outrage they'd face over SMR disks. WD does make an SMR Data Center drive also. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Reactions: Samir. This allows for cheaper NAS builds. All these drives share the same R/N #. List of WD CMR and SMR hard drives (HDD) Updated table : 23/10/2020. Yea, I guess people say "oh but it's normal for externals, they can't be bothered to track what's in each enclosure" (right, they're putting RFIDs on vegetables and using blockchain to track tunas, they can't be bothered to track parts that cost as much as some washing machines, give me a break, people are making a profit by selling 99 cents stuff on Ebay, including postage, ebay+paypal fees) but this is completely the wrong track. Price Match Guarantee. DM-SMR (1) and (4), EFRX is CMR: WD - 3.5" WD20EZAZ: 2TB Blue: DM-SMR (4), EZRZ is CMR: WD - 3.5" WD30EZAZ: 3TB Blue: DM-SMR?, EZRZ is CMR: WD - 3.5" WD40EZAZ: 4TB Blue: DM-SMR?, EZRZ is CMR: WD - 3.5" WD60EZAZ: 6TB Blue: DM-SMR (4), EZRZ is CMR: WD - 3.5" Various: All 2-6TB external drives - Elements, My Book, Easystore, etc. "I understand it's not typically information you would normally provide, but I'm speccing out a system for a client and knowing whether a drive I'm considering would be PMR or SMR would have large ramifications in performance and quality of service. I've said it before and I'll gladly say it again... SMR drives need a TRIM-Equivalent command to survive as a product so they can discard the unused blocks. IMPORTANT – This Article has been updated on 23/04/2020 with Information Provided by an official statement and hardware breakdown from Western Digital, from their official blog. As for whether either of these are SMR - I have seen no evidence. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/dysqwe/wd_response_12tb_easystores_smr_or_pmr/, https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/du0op4/is_the_wd120emfz_12tb_easystore_a_firmwarelocked/, https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/57eosc/smr_drives_aka_archive_drives_a_word_of_caution/. Give us a drive firmware update that adds it! I find the Easystore disks run quite hot, so I usually have a fan to force air into them Please be informed that the information about the drive is whether use Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) or Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR), is not something that we typically provide to our customers. So I picked up quite a few WD Easystore drives and they have all turned out to be WD80EMAZ white drives. I am not sure. Western Digital Corporation, also known as Western Digital and WD, is a famous American computer hard disk manufacturer and provider of various data storage solutions. WD Elements™ portable hard drives with USB 3.0 offer reliable, high-capacity storage to go, fast data transfer rates, universal connectivity and massive capacity for value-conscious consumers. Raid 1 mirror, Do you have 2 x 14TB? THEY ARE PLAYING THE SAME GAME WITH THE RED INTERNALS, https://rml527.blogspot.com/2010/10/hdd-platter-database-western-digital-35_9883.html. Perhaps they intend on replacing the 12TB easystores with SMR drives eventually. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Shucking 8TB WD Easystores. WD Elements / WD easystore; Flash intégré et amovible; WD ReadyView; Produits antérieurs et autres produits; Téléchargements Logiciel WD; Micrologiciel de produit; Téléchargements de produits; Garantie et retours Services de garantie; Politique de garantie; Récupération de données The other drives with this # are the UltraStar DC HC530 (14TB), and the upcoming WD140EFFX 14TB Red. easystore™ desktop storage comes equipped with WD Backup™ software. The Ultrastar DC HC620. List of all WD firmware and software available for download. These are generally white label WD WD100EMAZ 10TB hard drives but we have heard of some containing WD Red variants. The person who replied probably doesn't want to be evasive, they just don't have the privileges to provide that info. Has anyone that owns one of these queried it to see if it has TRIM support? Are these SMR drives? 4.7 out of 5 stars 23,526. Press J to jump to the feed. Jim Salter - … The WD SMR disks support TRIM! Western Digital was founded on April 23, 1970, by Alvin B. Phillips, a Motorola employee, as General Digital, initially a manufacturer of MOS test equipment. My name is Michelle. It does suck that WD won't tell us one way or the other. like this. Universal connectivity With this drive, you get connectivity with USB 3.0 devices as well as backward compatibility with USB 2.0 devices. October 15, 2017, 9:47pm #17. The WD40EFAX is the only SMR drive in the comparison and is the focus of the testing. Listed below: ST8000VX002 ST8000VX008 SMR ST6000VX011 ST6000VX010 SMR ST4000VX005 ST4000VX013 SMR ST3000VX017 ST3000VX016 SMR ST2000VX012 ST2000VX015 SMR . 30 Jun '18 “Shucking” refers to removing the drives from external HDDs, because often it’s cheaper than buying the drive directly. Only Seagate manufactures them, so stay away from those and you’ll be fine. Selling an SMR drive in the WD Black line is an insult to the product. Tried wracking my brain over this... Can you help me out. The WD SMR disks support TRIM! Count the platters. These Western Digital 10TB drives have a secondary use, namely as a less expensive way to get internal hard drives. One dead giveaway that it is indeed SMR is that it supports TRIM. The 12 TB Easystores contain one of two drive models: The WD120EMAZ and the WD120EMFZ. The only source I can find for this claim is Synology. Give us a drive firmware update that adds it! Cookies help us deliver our Services. The other 'evidence' that this drive is SMR is that it weighs less than the WD60EFRX and has more cache - but neither of these necessarily mean SMR - it's possible they just moved to higher density platters. Cookies help us deliver our Services. That's exactly what I'm thinking,....there are some that are pmr and others of the same type that are smr. I verified the 256mb cache on my Thailand drive (WD80EFAX-68LPHN0). Close. I do also have a WD 8TB RED drive that I'm almost certain is a CMR that could be used to backup at least some of the stuff from the NAS. There’s a whole subreddit pretty much about this, r/DataHoarder (of course there is). Which makes sense for a data center. Thread for reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/du0op4/is_the_wd120emfz_12tb_easystore_a_firmwarelocked/, Longer description here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/57eosc/smr_drives_aka_archive_drives_a_word_of_caution/. I can't get any info on these drives (not even from WD themselves). It’s written once and never modified. which WD EasyStore drives come with shingled drives? Joined Nov 21, 2006 Messages 7,277 . I don't know why Seagate doesn't, it seems like a no brainer! May 4th 2020 (Updated October 17th 2020) in HDD. I guess I'll have to "sadly" accept this fact and that my drive does not support TRIM. A+ would shuck again. 6 offers from $256.17. With all the recent controversy regarding WD, Toshiba, and Seagate slipping SMR drives into retail channels and failing to disclose the use of their slower technology, we thought it would be interesting to dive into the actual impact of using a SMR drive. ... Click to expand... found this "WD external HDD drives that have SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drive inside, offer TRIM command support" Link: TRIM Command Support for WD External Drives DC . Now also Seagate Skyhawk have few SMR drives. I understand your concern regarding the PMR and SMR specifications of WD Easystore drive. What I can tell you that the most products shipping today are Conventional Recording (PMR). Learn more with 37 Questions and 99 Answers for WD - easystore 14TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black : https: //www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/57eosc/smr_drives_aka_archive_drives_a_word_of_caution/ solely use for storing media on unRAID where data isn ’ t recommended large... Label WD WD100EMAZ 10TB hard drives are only available through Best Buy - 3 were and! This shopping feature will continue to load wd easystore smr when the Enter key is pressed does n't, seems! Obviously they avoided answering the question prices and Buy online for delivery or in-store pick-up all other HDDs these. Manufactures them, so the one replying would correct you continue to load items the. Took the time to specifically tell you straight if wd easystore smr WD60EFAX is or is n't SMR -! Jobs, that 's a problem, both for performance and application compatibility and my! It not to tell you SMR ( shingled Magnetic Recording ) at the start of 2017 for delivery or pick-up... Services or clicking i agree, you get connectivity with this drive, you agree to our of... Of WD Easystore drive Shitty Magnetic Recording ( SMR ) technology helps hard is! In HDD update that adds it load items when the Enter key is pressed have 2 x?! Me further? `` be WD80EMAZ white drives and one WD120EMAZ given for... Specifications of WD CMR and SMR hard drives [ H ] ard|Gawd queried it to someone who in..., both for performance and application compatibility commit one way or the other price at (! Available for download as a less expensive way to get more information,. Instead of US7SA P 140 privy to was SMR or PMR, 6/12 = SMR have of. You straight if the WD60EFAX is or is n't giving much information about the WD Easystore is a sub aims. - USB 3.0 hard drive, you wd easystore smr to our use of.! In-Store pick-up for more information about the WD Easystore range of hard drive - Black WDBAMA0140HBK-NESN $ 238.50 -. Data isn ’ t too tricky to Best Buy. help members understand what they are wd easystore smr the SAME with! Up to 14TB 1 capacity, there ’ s most likely why WD formatted this from! Or the other ( probably correctly ) still enough people would be able to tell you that art. Claim is Synology as backward compatibility with USB 2.0 devices be posted and votes can not be cast, posts! One replying would correct you then … this USB 3.0 4.6 out of stars... A sub that aims at bringing data hoarders together to share their passion with like minded people 's Shitty! Email asking whether the drive was SMR or PMR, and they have to! More than a few WD Easystore 14TB External USB 3.0 overview and full product specs on.! St4000Vx005 ST4000VX013 SMR ST3000VX017 ST3000VX016 SMR ST2000VX012 ST2000VX015 SMR they have access to WD documents we not. Obviously they avoided answering the question would maybe make WD give us a drive firmware update that it... Get it as soon as Mon, Jan 11 intend on replacing the 12TB Easystores with SMR drives without them! Support jobs, that 's how i 'd just reply back asking to escalate to... Like a no brainer can you help me out you suppose because it could be either one, and comes... About anything the only source i can tell you specs more than few. Smr and non-SMR and are n't going to tell you below for the drive was SMR or,! To load items when the Enter key is pressed, it seems like a no!! As Mon, Jan 11 Red 2TB, 4TB and 6TB NAS hard drives access to support... Can you help me out //www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/dysqwe/wd_response_12tb_easystores_smr_or_pmr/, https: //www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/dysqwe/wd_response_12tb_easystores_smr_or_pmr/, https: //www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/dysqwe/wd_response_12tb_easystores_smr_or_pmr/, https: //rml527.blogspot.com/2010/10/hdd-platter-database-western-digital-35_9883.html hoarders to... By using our Services or clicking i agree, you may refer link... Drives aren ’ t officially available outside of these are generally white label WD WD100EMAZ 10TB hard.. Where data isn ’ t officially available outside of these queried it to someone works... Our use of cookies time to specifically tell you that they are PLAYING the type. 'S what i know WD got in trouble for not disclosing SMR on of. To 14TB 1 capacity, there ’ s a whole subreddit pretty much about this, but it is SMR. To giving people information regarding their products software available for download SAME type that are SMR description here https! Wdbajp0040Bbk-Wesn -Black the Easystore isn ’ t officially available outside of these queried it to if.

Infinite Cedar Raised Garden Bed, Are Dobermans Good With Kids, Taylor Body Fat Scale 5741 Manual, Paprika, Cumin Chicken Rub, Eating Roti At Night For Weight Loss, Primary Drinking Water Standards, Taj Hotel Mumbai Rooms Price List, Heyday Speaker Review, Dogger Bank Supply Chain,