better to keep your mouth shut quotes

Bud Rudesill, And I will never, ever respond to anybody - man, woman, vegetable, or mineral - who tells me to keep my mouth shut. There Surya Namaskar The Potency of Sun Salutation, Keep Illnesses At Bay with Downward Dog Everyday, A headstart on beating your headache: Yoga for headaches, Unwind with Golf as a Spiritual Expression. They're probably doing something they don't want you to see, and if they hear you coming, they'll hide the evidence. 'I was thinking more along the lines of Tick and Tock. (Verified with scans), 1962 March 21, Aiken Standard and Review, Phraseologies, Quote Page 2, Column 6, Aiken, South Carolina. Rachel Sklar, Never miss an opportunity to keep your damn mouth shut. You have been automatically redirected to the new site. We feel safer with a madman who talks than with one who cannot open his mouth." "The hand is, in the highest degree, a human characteristic. Ecclesiastes 5:3 For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words. Well that headline is a bit of a teaser but bear with me a bit. Honesty is the best policy. A lot of sources attribute this to Mark Twain. (Verified on paper). What a zinger! Votes: 2, I don't really know of the Jewish tradition of comedy, only the Jewish tradition of not keeping your mouth shut. Votes: 0, There's nothing wrong with keeping your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. Love with your mouth shut, help without breaking your ass or publicizing it: keep cool, but care. This proverb exhorts us to choose our words carefully, and not just talk to hear our own voice. - Abe Lincoln. Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. Much like Alex wasn't likely to be if she couldn't extricate herself from this. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. Even a fool, when he holds his peace, is counted wise: and he that shuts his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17:28 American King James Bible, 2. There are many special formulas that people following to acquire their own happiness. "Silence," says the Sanskrit gnome, "is the ornament of the ignorant." Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. quoteaddicts.com helpful non helpful. 19) When youre tempted to flatter a wicked person The day serves as a reminder of the crucial role that a free press plays in safeguarding democracy, ensuring accountability, []. For many years I believed Twain described golf as a good walk spoiled, but it seems to be one of Wildes after all. On the whole it's better to keep your mouth shut about living people. And you have to really deliver., You can never put too much pork in your mouth as far as Im concerned., You learned the two greatest thing in life, never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut., You prove your worth with your actions, not with your mouth., Youre almost always better off keeping your mouth shut, but dont let that stop you from popping off.. #motivation #trending #please #like #inspiration #video #quates #shortsmotivational speech for success in lifemotivational speecheskeep your mouth shutkeep y. All the words of my mouth are just; none of them is crooked or perverse. Prov 8:8 Not sure who came up with this list. On the origin of the quote "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt," which has been wrongly attributed to both to Abraham . (NewspaperArchive), 1924 June 10, Seattle Daily Times, Section: Sports, Bobs Sportitorials, Quote Page 1, Column 1, Seattle, Washington. I want to be in as many boxes as possible, describe myself as thickly as possible. As so often happens, I discover that it would have been better to keep my mouth shut. I'm saying you THINK that. You're almost always better off keeping your mouth shut, but don't let that stop you from popping off. WE really need an ironclad site that can be depended on to go to when someone decides to either plagerize or mis-quote, or as I call it hurt-quote someone. ""But you're not. The phrase keep quiet was used instead of remain silent:[9] 1922 December 17, Duluth Sunday News-Tribune (Duluth News-Tribune), (Headline across top of page beneath newspaper name and date), Section: Society, Page 1, Duluth, Minnesota. Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. Votes: 2, You're almost always better off keeping your mouth shut, but don't let that stop you from popping off. Hope all is well. There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see. 500 WALLPAPERS 97,866 POINTS. Fax: 443-458-0607. Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. Toggle . This is the earliest known ascription to the famous President: In 1936 the maxim was printed in a Nebraska newspaper where it was rephrased as a question and an Asiatic was suggested:[15] 1936 July 13, Omaha World Herald, You Answer It, (Freestanding short item), Quote Page 4, Column 2, Omaha, Nebraska. I'm trying to learn my lesson. Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. When I mentioned this adage to a friend he claimed that it was in the Bible, but it does not sound very Biblical to me. Silence is wisdom and gets a man friends Ive had struggles., If you do build a great experience, customers tell each other about that. Here is the New International Version followed by the King James Version of this verse: [1] Proverbs 17:28 has many translations. Whoever says to the guilty, You are innocent, will be cursed by peoples and denounced by nations. In the biblical version one is thought wise if one remains silent, but in the questioners statements the word wise is not used. Complaining about all that is hard, unfair or ridiculous in life-having strong feelings, and not being able to suppress them. Further, YBQ indicated that the phrase was in use years before this date with no attachment to Lincoln. Proverbs 25:28, If you may have to eat your words later. "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain (attributed) 3. Keep my mouth shut. Explore. Let gossip die with you. I learned this saying as a kid, about 50 years ago, and I distinctly remember learning it from reading MAD Magazine. (Verified on paper). (NewspaperArchive). It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it. Copyright 2023 Famous Quotes & Sayings. Not being categorized is like keeping your mouth shut. That, to me, is Jewish. The word is demonstrating a condition of the mind. You can only deliver it. Experiencing a moment of serenity can be very rewarding for oneself. In some cases is keeping your mouth shut the best answer. ~ African Proverb. But when you try to dictate what to do to others, remember thisIt is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt! "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool." says Dr. Arthur Burns, "than to speak and remove all doubts.". But Ive known it a long time, I have a memory of the source, and I cant think of any other source from which I learned anything that useful as a kid. ""I'll stop. In May 1931 a columnist printed a version with dumb instead of fool. The second clause is coordinate with the former. "You think Sammy's dead. (Google News Archive), Part Went for Liquor, Part for Women, Rest Spent Foolishly. A quick-tempered person does foolish things, and the one who devises evil schemes is hated. Prov 14:17 Using sewing hashtags on social media platforms can help you connect with other sewists and []. Donna Tartt, Vodka was evil; pure liquid evil. Explore our collection of motivational and famous quotes by authors you know and love. 1. Patton : Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. There's nothing wrong with keeping your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. The word thought was spelled thot:[10] 1923 June 19, The Crescent (Evansville Crescent), (One quotation in a set of three freestanding quotes), Quote Page 3, Column 1, Evansville, Indiana. And all because you finally kept your mouth shut! The best followers have the ability to listen, comprehend and act. Other proverbs mention how idle chatter leads to poverty ( Proverbs 14:23 ), the righteous study how . Hello Steve. The truth's always the truth. Devon Monk, Shut the door, Wales. 1. Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. 1. Diana Palmer, As so often happens, I discover that it would have been better to keep my mouth shut. John Maynard Keynes? (Old Fulton), Listen to this: It is better to be silent and be thought dumb, than to speak and remove all doubt!, In October 1931 the student newspaper of Northwestern University published a letter to the editor defending gangster Al Capone which contained another instance of the adage with keep your mouth shut:[14] 1931 October 16, Daily Northwestern, Our Public, (Letter to the Editor from Not so swell), Quote Page 2, Column 2, Evanston, Illinois. Proverbs 17:28 (OT) The earliest known appearance of the adage discovered by QI occurred in a book. ""Moira ""Not a word! 12) If your words will damage someones reputation Careful attribution is difficult and with Lincoln involved its doubly so. It is mans organ of grasp and of the sense of touch, while in animals these two functions are relegated to the mouth., Theres nothing wrong with keeping your mouth shut if you dont have anything nice to say., We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak., When even one American who has done nothing wrong is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth then all Americans are in peril., When you gossip, its self-hexing. Take a look at the Resources page linked near the top of the web page for other suggestions for tracing quotes. Evan Esar. The publication date was 1907 and the copyright notice was 1906. (Verified on paper). Half of seeming clever is keeping your mouth shut at the right times. So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 1 Cor 8:11 YOU ANSWER IT. The trick to keeping your mouth shut is this: put the desire to effect positive change above your instinct to tell people they're wrong. It does, indeed, sound like something that Mark Twain would have said. (Verified with scans). Inspiring Quotes About Life. tags: hell , resignation. This quote is actually pretty recent. It is observed on March 16th every year and serves as a reminder of the important role played by black journalists in shaping the narrative around issues of race [], Small press month is an annual celebration of independent publishers and their contributions to the literary world. You say you will, then you just keep going. The universe of quotations is vast and this site has an in-depth analysis of 218 quotations. Aug 18, 2020 - Explore Cassie Carstens's board "Keep your mouth shut!" on Pinterest. Complaining about all that is hard, unfair or ridiculous in life-having strong feelings, and not being able to suppress them. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut Jimmy Conway character from Goodfellas, 6. He jumped up and stood next to me, not knowing what personal space meant. 3. If you're in the habit of talking too much, you probably answer questions that you don't even know the answer to. your own Pins on Pinterest. 110 Written Quotes. Mark Twain was a great writer loved by so many. Agatha Christie, A pissant is somebody who thinks he's so damn smart, he can never keep his mouth shut. Cool Words. Read your bible. Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. All Rights Reserved. 4. Mark Twain? If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y and Z, with X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut. Albert Einstein, 10. As any parent can tell you, it's better to keep your mouth shut and your eyes open when you go looking for kids who are being . Translation: "It's better to be doing badly than not taking part at all". Maybe Mark Twain had something when he said, It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it, and often, in these cases, its the informant who feels the fool. He DID say: "A successful book is not made of what is in . 5. Ecclesiastes 5:3 For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words. anything. | Mark Twain Quote. (ProQuest), 1961, Mark Twain: Wit and Wisecracks, Edited by Doris Benardete, Quote Page 18, Peter Pauper Press, White Plains, New York. "Nearly," Tobias says. Floyd Mayweather. Prince Philip. Translator : Excuse me sir, but General Caskov would like to know whether you'll join him to drink the surrender of Germany. So, in the interest of preventing us from wishing wistfully that our mouths had been on Mute, here are 10 times when the sounds of silence are the best sounds of all. Coincidentally, after reading this post yesterday, a colleague prepared a quiz of quotes this morning. It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt., In 1953 a columnist in a Saskatoon, Canada newspaper assigned the expression to Mark Twain. If the issue is none of your business - Proverbs 14:10. I appreciate the comment. (Nick)One day, Gaitor bait (Kyrian)Note to self- be nice to woman, keep mouth shut. beam in (one's) eye. Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. 8) When youre tempted to make light of holy things 'I think he was trying to eat you,' he told me. Before you go to sleep, put an extra pillow below your head. 7) When you would be ashamed of your words later Too gentle to bear it. The time is always right to do what is right. Categorization is linguistic, people trying to understand each other. (Google Books full view) link. All Rights Reserved. Pinterest. 18) If you have already said it more than one time (then it becomes nagging) We all sometimes don't speak up when we should, and do speak when we shouldn't. But successful people do a lot less of this and know the value, particularly, of keeping quiet. generous to a fault. Bodhidharma. "I just made a mental note to find a plastic surgeon who does emergency face alterations so you won't know who to look for," I shot back. In 1907 a version of the maxim appeared in Mrs. It was a Chinese proverb long before Jeebus boosted it. Most of us are better, though, when things go better. Today. I Love You: When Mom Wrote, She Always Saved the Best for Last(1991). Garson, Thanks for the work on the silence quote. Elevate your head during sleep. Ernest Hemingway. ""Does it matter what I think? 6) When you are tempted to joke about sin The earliest ascriptions to these famous figures appeared many years post death. "You want me to let you go so you can burn this out, you better stop bein' cute, lady. If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Animal Farm Boxer Quotes. I am married with 1 daughter, 2 step-sons and a step daughter. Part 2 of the shut quotations list about wide-open and unlock sayings citing Christina Hendricks, John C. Reilly and George Packer captions. I like to listen. Here are ten examples of instances in which you would be better off not saying anything. 'Or something,' I agreed. Corsum.com is now MartinONeill.net. If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Watch. Gerard Butler. "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool." says Dr. Arthur Burns, "than to speak and remove all doubts.". Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. That, to me, is Jewish. (Google News Archive), The following wise-crack was written by Confuciusunless Im confusing him with somebody else: I had never done that before: singing while trying to give a cinematic performance. Black Press Day is an annual event that celebrates the contributions of black-owned newspapers and their role in the fight for civil rights and social justice. The quotations that the questioner listed use a distinctive formulation that is certainly more humorous. We've kept our mouths shut (sometimes only by clenching our jaw) when everything inside of us is screaming to let our spouse know EXACTLY what we're feeling and/or thinking. Proverbs 17:27, If the issue is none of your business. Yet, this website is currently rather small. 5) If your words will be a poor reflection of the Lord or your friends and family "21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God. Proverbs 8:8, When your tempted to make light of holy things. 10. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Here are some well-know Mark Twain quotes that arent. If you cannot control your anger, you are as helpless as a city without walls, open to attack. " It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt. Categorization is linguistic, people trying to understand each other. (GenealogyBank). Votes: 4 ""How could I know that, Cassie? These quotes about keeping your mouth shut will also remind you to be mindful to the types of circumstances that you speak up in. All Rights Reserved. Wrinkles Quotes. Mouth Quotes - BrainyQuote. 'Jesus,' Tock whispered. "I don't know if you know this," Tobias says, "but Edward is a little unstable. Mark Twain. Remain blessed. But it's best to keep your mouth shut sometimes. A heart worth loving is one you understand, even in silence. French. Thanks and God Bless! Unfortunately, we may never know because it cant be verified one way or the other. (Verified on paper), 1931 November, Golden Book Magazine, Volume 14, Quote Page 306, Published by The Review of Reviews Corporation, Albert Shaw, New York. Here are a few of our favorites! She needed to learn to keep her mouth shut. It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. This is found in the Bible . World Pinhole Photography Day, also known as WPPD, is an international event that celebrates the art of pinhole photography. Since Lincoln died in 1865 this is a suspiciously late instance, and it provides very weak evidence. Inspirational Entrepreneurship Quotes. She thought she was hallucinating, because this mysterious guy was seriously cute. Beau Brummell, Your mind is nirvana. Votes: 3 Translation: "Keep your mouth shut!" . 47 Most Famous Motivational Quotes of All-Time, 37 Inspirational Quotes that Will Change Your Life, 49 Quotes About Being Responsible for Your Own Happiness. All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. Prov 14:23. I came up with the right list (follows). Proverbs 4:24, If your words will damage someones reputation. Keep in mind that unlike hearing, listening is a skill. If I was able to do it, so can you! I want to be in as many boxes as possible, describe myself as thickly as possible. Do you endanger your child to fight for the right thing, or do you keep your mouth shut and let your child grow up in a world where their natural rights are stripped away from them? Mark Twain. Erin Lawless, The only clothes Amanda has are the ones on her back. No good comes from gossip. If youre not able to to get to the original source (and not an anthology or compilation of quotes), then dont attribute the quote. You may die of a misprint.". Quote Investigator: There is a biblical proverb that expresses a similar idea, namely Proverbs 17:28. 9. The history of the word begins in close connexion with the Greek mysteries. Contrary to Twitter, the art of writing ones thoughts in a concise, organized, and meaningful manner takes more time and effort than just jotting down your stream of consciousness. Not being categorized is like keeping your mouth shut. A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it., A kiss is a secret told to the mouth instead of the ear; kisses are the messengers of love and tenderness., A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, hes going to get sick on it., A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth., A special skill, like speaking several languages, or keeping your mouth shut in one., A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned., Always do sober what you said youd do drunk. It would be easy to believe thatTwain said this, but Blaise Pascal, a french physicist and writer, actually gave us this insight. (Google News Archive), 1958 April 20, New York Times, Keynes Re-Examined: The Man, the Theory by Henry C. Wallich, Start Page SM13, Quote Page SM13, Column 2, New York. A special skill, like speaking several languages, or keeping your mouth shut in one. In 1924 an instance of the saying was credited to a person named Arthur Burns: 11. Half of seeming clever is keeping your mouth shut at the right times. We feel safer with a madman who talks than with one who cannot open his mouth., The hand is, in the highest degree, a human characteristic. Theres so much to understand about the world beyond whats taught inschool. Subscribe to Martins monthly newsletter: If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y and Z, with X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut. Not one of us. "I stormed out of the bathroom and that was the end of thatconversation Kaitlin Scott, Sometimes the opposite of loss is loss." (GenealogyBank), 1923 June 19, The Crescent (Evansville Crescent), (One quotation in a set of three freestanding quotes), Quote Page 3, Column 1, Evansville, Indiana. Mike Tyson. A pissant does his best to make you feel like a boob all the time. It's better to keep one's mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubts. Confucius? Hugo asked: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.". a beam in your eye. Although the advantages of speaking up help you avoid passive aggressive responses, at times it's better to shut up, particularly when you're in a highly emotional state that could affect your ability to think clearly. Through God's words we can be empowered to speak out for it can lead to great . Last but not least, another famous quip in the world of Mark Twain quotes that was almost certainly not his creation. To answer before listening that is folly and shame. Prov 18:13 THEPALMER/Getty Images. The temptation is to open your mouth and belt it out and do something theatrical, which would just be ghastly because every time you open your mouth it's 30 feet wide on a big screen. Download file | Play in new window | Duration: 6:06 | Recorded on January 23, 2021, Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Blubrry | Deezer | Google Podcasts | RSS | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | YouTube | iHeartRadio | iTunes. If you find yourself breathing through your mouth, close your mouth and try to consciously breathe through your nose. Arranged alphabetically "Abroad to Ax," for example, along with . Inspirational Quotes. What was the book in which Mark Twain wrote this sentence extracted as an inspirational quote:they did not know it was impossible so they did it? ""Not a word, Jack. Maybe this soundslike something Mark Twain would have said, but no one has been able to verify the voice behind this line. Thanks so much for that. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. I have been blogging since 2004, however, I have been blogging on Courageous Christian Father since 2012. The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Prov 18:21 Goose, Her Book has the imprint of originality, and based on currently available data QI believes that Maurice Switzer is the leading candidate for originator of the expression. 3.8 out of 5 stars 5 ratings. Ephesians 4:29; "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is . #PinholePhotographyDay The post World Pinhole Photography Day appeared first on SteveZ DesignZ. Just a simple donation can help with the funding for this blog ministry of Courageous Christian Father. I usually speak my mind. The ascription to Abraham Lincoln has been common for decades. There is "A time to keep silent, and a time to speak" - Ecclesiates 3:7. ""You just did. No pear falls into a shut mouth. Great Quotes. Every day we present the best quotes! In 1938 the words of the aphorism were ascribed to Confucius, but the intent was jocular:[16] 1938 June 1, The Evening Independent, Free Speeches by Lee Morris, Page 4, Column 3, St. Petersburg, Florida. Startup Quotes. 2023 Martin ONeill / Corsum Consulting, LLC. (Verified on paper), 2001, Mark Twain by Dayton Duncan and Geoffrey C. Ward, Based on a Documentary by Ken Burns, Section: What Twain Didnt Say, Page 189, Alfred A. Knopf, New York. Put your money where your mouth is. Word of mouth is very powerful., In some cases is keeping your mouth shut the best answer., It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt., It seems that it had been destined before that I should occupy myself so thoroughly with the vulture, for it comes to my mind as a very early memory, when I was still in the cradle, a vulture came down to me, he opened my mouth with his tail and struck me a few times with his tail against my lips., Just because Im sassy and have a mouth on me doesnt mean Im coming from a negative place., Listen! If you keep your mouth shut, the flies wont get in Spanish proverb, 7. ""I'm not saying you know that. Duff McKagan, That is the problem with age and wisdom - it merely shows you how helpless you are. They're probably doing something they don't want you to see, and if they hear you coming, they'll hide the evidence. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. "Speech and silence. That, to me, is Jewish. 16) When it is time to listen We are all leaders and followers so we all need to know when to listen and when to engage the big hole below our nose. Just say you're fine with what the team thinks, or something to that effect. Votes: 2, If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. I quite confident that many a quip attributed to Twain were from Will Rogers and vice versa. 22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. CS Lewis Quote,Addicts. It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt. Several examples from an 1887 collection called Proverbs, Maxims, and Phrases of All Ages are reminiscent of the biblical proverb: [7] 1887, Proverbs, Maxims, and Phrases of All Ages, Compiled by Robert Christy, Page 268, The Knickerbocker Press, G. P. Putnams Sons, New York. 136. Even dunces who keep quiet are thought to be wise; as long as they keep their mouths shut, they're smart. If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. It is better . and it should be your wisdom. (Verified on paper), 1887, Proverbs, Maxims, and Phrases of All Ages, Compiled by Robert Christy, Page 268, The Knickerbocker Press, G. P. Putnams Sons, New York. | Sitemap |. This site might be the place I wish to GOD it is! Oct 1, 2017 - It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. Its the first impression that you have of the character before they open their mouth, so it really does establish who they are., Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth., Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart., Half of seeming clever is keeping your mouth shut at the right times., I do not love to work out, but if I stick to exercising every day and put the right things in my mouth, then my diabetes just stays in check., I know what hard times are like. staff prayer powerpoint, blackrock managing director,