go the second mile bible verse

He does not counsel us to love our enemies except for Satan. People dont care how much you know until they know that your care. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. One of the most hated of Roman laws: We show up to do something for God and then get angry because not enough showed up so we Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 79). An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.. Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect (Matthew 5:43-48). A loud commanding voice rang out. Great profit would be gained by studying every statement made by Christ in this sermon, but time and space will not be taken to do this here. This aspect of the law was studied back in post 7. All rights reserved. Today's lessons are: Leviticus 19L1-2,9-18; Psalm 119:33-40; 1 Corinthians 3:10-11, 16-23; and Matthew 5:38-48 Earthly potentates know only one way to deal with such elements in society and that is to meet force with force. He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light. 46(N)For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. Labs from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, You fool! will be liable to the hell of fire. To many, Christ adopted a course here that laid Him open to the charge of denying the law as God in the Old Testament had taught it. If a man is a Logger - He wants to be a Good Logger A Sermon about going above and beyond what is expected. He simply said, Love your enemies. Therefore they are to be loved forever. If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. Up to seven times: Jesus said to him, I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. It comes from the Sermon on the Mount context, "If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles." There stood a Roman solider yelling at a young Jewish Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Judge not, that you be not judged. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. N They will keep the law exactly as God, the King of Righteousness, keeps it. I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Rather, it would have struck a very real and painful nerve. 41And whoever (E)compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Therefore, most people have no disposition to surrender the security provided by their defending and protecting their rights and possessions. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Jesus said, "And whoever shall force you to go one mile, go with him two" (Matt. 'But I tell you not to resist an evil person. A Psalm of David. But I tell you not to resist an evil person. He may use fear. Share Or how can you say to your brother, Let me take the speck out of your eye, when there is the log in your own eye? Such a resolution of the problem must be rejected because the perfect law is an unchangeable as the God who gave it. Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. They prefer to work at being more powerful than their enemy so that they can hit back harder than they can be hit. (D)But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. Whenever possible, all works created by others will be given credit. I Peter 2:21-24 " Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was . Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular, Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular. Q G The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. read more, Scripture: Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. ================== Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. Christ lived and taught the character of God. You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. read more, Scripture: If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, I repent, you must forgive him.. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. The "second mile" that Jesus was referring to was not just a nice platitude that he made up on the spot. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not . Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. To the person of the world, there is no sense in Christs words. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. Thus you will be in harmony with every precept of His law; for the law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul. Psalm 19:7, margin. (Ezekiel 40:542:20). We will explore the following questions: Jesus started His ministry (and ended it, too) by coming in contravention to the Eye for Eye laws. But he answered, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.. What would be some verses from the Bible to save a marriage? Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! So what do you say? This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Rather, it would have struck a very real and painful nerve. Why? In this scripture story, Jesus was teaching . But . . So Peter opened his mouth and said: Truly I understand that God shows no partiality. 6:7; 1 Pet. Matthew 5:41, Matthew 5:41-45. (Old) And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, (new) let him have thy cloke also. Share read more, Scripture: The First Mile is Your Duty; We Are to Walk the Second Mile for Christ. It is a character received by the process of spiritual regeneration. B. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.. 38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. Read full chapter Following the Beatitudes in Matthew Five, we find Jesus telling the multitude just what kind of people God wants us to be. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. He leads me beside still waters. Blog posts will remain open for comments for 5 days. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. The Novum Testamentum Graece text is: , ' . No orders will be mailed until March 13, 2023. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. Cite this page: Editor: Stephen Smith. The law was not given by God to protect Himself from humankind. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. read more. A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The devil takes all these blessings and uses them to war against God, but for this God is not responsible. (Mark 2:15). I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. Please ensure your answer MEETS all our guidelines. Time To Go The Second Mile. Anglican. INTRO: He has stated that He will never lie, never steal, and never kill no matter what situation may arise to call for or to justify such things. (Permission granted to forward, reprint, post, download, or reuse in your ministry). But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. And his commandments are not burdensome. Special moments make special memories. When you make your neighbor a loan of any sort, you shall not go into his house to collect his pledge. Satan would then have the argument he needed to win the controversy. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Serving humanity in these ways, the law is a wonderful thing indeed, but the greatest wonder of all is that it actually protects human beings from God. (Matthew 5:41) He The Second Mile and Beyond When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. 38You have heard that it was said, (B)An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. 39(C)But I tell you not to resist an evil person. Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn. But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. M As many as seven times?. He is explaining the way in which God desires His directives, Thou shalt not kill, steal, and lie, to be understood, consider the difference between humanitys philosophy and the teachings of Jesus Christ. Our next post will be titled: An Eye for an Eye. Share Of Latin origin; a thousand paces, i.e. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 06 The Constitution of the Government of God, God Is Not A Criminal | The Bible In Your Hand, The Way of the Cross | The Bible In Your Hand, The Mystery-unfolding Cross | The Bible In Your Hand, The Mystery of Iniquity Satans Masterpiece of Deception | The Bible In Your Hand, An Eye for an Eye | The Bible In Your Hand. Love takes the place of hatred, and the heart receives the divine similitude. If you love me, you will keep my commandments. Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Text: Matthew 5:41 When God commits Himself to a pledge of that nature, there is absolute assurance that He will never vary from it in the slightest degree. And Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. And they cast lots to divide his garments. Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If the Lord gave one law for the people in given age and situation and subsequently changed this for later generations, then He is no better than changeable men and women who are forever modifying the laws to suit changing circumstances. The second mile opens up conversations that would never happen in the first mile. 5:41). And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:38-48. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. Jesus first great sermon was a clear statement of what the law really meant, alerting the people to know that that which was said to them of old, was not the version He had come to bring them. These words of Jesus would have been profoundly disturbing to his first-century audience. J Publisher: OpenBible.info. Untie them and bring them to me. Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. P In setting out the principles of that law, God has declared what He is and what He will and will not do. 25:40). . Then follow the Ten Commandments, after which the people are terrified and plead with Moses to speak with them instead of God. Did Christ mean that we are to carefully count till we reach this number and then stop forgiving? He made no attempt to compromise with the old teaching or to apologize for what He offered. Jesus said to carry the soldiers pack for two miles. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. Once you are flagged 3 times, you will be blacklisted. Y Introduction: King James Version 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Yet he, being compassionate, atoned for their iniquity and did not destroy them; he restrained his anger often and did not stir up all his wrath. He may use family. E For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. The Second Mile Philosophy is a service that not many Christians apply themselves to today. When Jesus bore this beautiful and truthful testimony of His Father, He knew all that God had done in the Old Testament. These are but the beginning of the birth pains. 41And whoever (E)compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile. The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. Bring the beauty and truth of the Bible into everyday life. Do not let your adorning be externalthe braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. New Heart English Bible And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Pentecostal. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! Matthew 5:41, Matthew 5:41-50. ), [Prov. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson. 12:17; 1 Cor. But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. And even though Jesus is clearly the one without any power at all in the situation, the soldier is captivated by what he has to say, because Jesus speaks from the unique wisdom that exists only in the hearts of the oppressed. They do not see that there is another and infinitely better way to deal with the rebellion than counterforce. Report. Today's Verse: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.. If someone curses you, curse them in return; if an individual does evil, return evil for it. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And he said to them, The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Dont love things, love people. How did Jesus sit on the donkey and her offspring on one time in Matthew 21:5-8? I have been working with people and Pastoring long enough to observe that all successful people live by the second mile principle. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. ~Matthew 5:41 When Jesus spoke these words, the audience had a very firm understanding of the background. Those who are Gods children have the same character as He has. After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? The second mile makes us better humans and better Christians. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Share These are not the patterns of behavior advertised as ideal through the entertainment media. Do not even the tax collectors do the same? Disciples Go The Second Mile Human beings saw God pouring good upon the dwellers in Sodom and Gomorrah for a limited time, after which He exchanged the blessings for cursing, and the good for evil as He poured upon them the flood of fire and brimstone. For You are great, and do wondrous things; You alone are God (Psalm 86:8-10). The offer of the second mile was actually a way to unmask the power play, to nonviolently subvert the system by playing right into the ridiculousness of it all. It is not about me but thee. Not ME but WE. read more, Scripture: Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. The people did obey them, confident that in so doing they were following the Lords instructions. If a person kills someone you love, kill him or her. From hupo and ago; to lead under, i.e. The old, He classified as their way, against which He set forth that which was His way. And whoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him two. Publication date: Jan 4, 2023. It is one thing to go the first mile but what about the second (extra) mile. This revised article originally appeared on Corey Farrs blog. Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular. 0 responses Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. Bible Verses for Meditation. But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him. So Peter went out with the other disciple, and they were going toward the tomb. 5:41 "And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." I believe that we as Christians are required to live in the second mile. It conveys the idea that there must first be the same character in the Christian as in the Father before there can be the corresponding behavior without. What temple is this? And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. Jesus gave them Word Count 2513 Leviticus 19:1-2,9-18 1 Corinthians 3:10-11,16-23 Matthew 5:38-48 Psalm . He told His hearers that by so doing they would be sons of their Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust (Matthew 5:45). What the Bible says about Going the Extra Mile ( From Forerunner Commentary ) Matthew 5:38-42 Normally and customarily, self-defense is a legal right in virtually every nation on earth, but in the Christian's case, God says, "No, it is not a right. (D)But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. Verb - Present Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular. May you come to see God as Christ New Him. Asked July 27 2015 Soldiers of the Roman Army, who in certain aspects we might consider the Nazis of their day, had the legal right to force any subject of an occupied territory to carry their heavy packs and gear for them. They saw the same picture in the good, the plagues of Egypt, the obliteration of the Canaanites, the death by night of Sennacheribs army, and many other instances. Let what you say be simply Yes or No; anything more than this comes from evil. As traveling guests leave, hosts should not just walk a mile (old), but walk a second mile (new). No one comes to the Father except through me. When Jesus told His followers to walk the second mile, he referred to this law. Truly, His ways are mas much higher than our ways as the heavens are above the earth. "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Go the second mile. Lets refresh others as Onesiphorus (2 Tim. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. But I tell you not to resist an evil person. It takes great courage. Whatever house you enter, first say, Peace be to this house! As they went out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name. Matthew 5:38-42, Denomination: Its also unfortunate that the historical and cultural weight of this passage is missed. A singer-songwriter and wannabe author, Corey blogs about faith, spirituality, and poetry at www.coreyfarr.com. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. The second mile shows our true attitude toward serving Christ The Roman government, during the days of Jesus, gave their officers the right to press any citizen into service at any time. Scripture: St. Matthew 5:41 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. To understand the attitude of genuine love that the Father has for His lost son, a distinction must be made between love together with fellowship, and love without it. The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for. A. Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. The disciples sat nearest to Christ when He spoke these works, but they did not understand this message as is evident from the question Peter asked much later. God is in a position of power from which He can obliterate any opposition by a single word. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to those of old, You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.. Christ continued His instruction in these words: You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Luke 23:26 And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus. 1:15, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Lucado Encouraging Word Bible, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Spirit-Filled Life Bible, Third Edition, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Kingdom Equipping Through the Power of the Word, NKJV, Charles F. Stanley Life Principles Bible, 2nd Edition, Comfort Print: Growing in Knowledge and Understanding of God Through His Word, NKJV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NKJV, The American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord. In summary, Jesus is saying we need to be pure inside and out and as accommodating as possible for the sake of a lost world. For less than $5/mo. The Second Mile Is So Rewarding To Them That Know How. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway.