old national geographic magazines worth

Hyman is often asked whether old National Geographic magazines have any value. The average for the top 3 sales just for this month with supplement remained at $450.65, i.e. 49.99 Collection in person national geographic magazine bundle 2.00 1 bid 5.35 postage 3d National Geographic Nov 1970 Environmental Crisis, Land Diving, Old Salem vgcon 4.99 1 bid Free postage 1d 3h Are Old National Geographic Magazines Worth Anything - On this day 128 years ago, the National Geographic Society released the first issue of its magazine just eight months after the society was founded with the mission to "improve and disseminate geographical knowledge." But after that, the value drops dramatically. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC January 1940 VINTAGE MAGAZINE WORLD WAR 2 ERA! 1 - 6, $2,499.99 2 Aug 2017 {all in the timing}. What was the first National Geographic magazine? However, the oldest magazine is not worth any money if it is not in good condition. Do you have a problem readers could solve? My father collected National Geographic and has bequeathed me a near complete collection from 1932-84. There are literally thousands of magazine titles scattered about newsstands each month and this trend has lasted for decades. {Includes Bound Volumes + Reprints (Bound and Individual)}. The Society generally published only a few extra magazines above the membership numbers, thus the rarity of the first eight years of publications known as the red brick issues. It does not store any personal data. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. How Much Are National Geographic Magazines Worth In 2007, a copy of Beaton's 1887 Christmas Yearbook sold at Sotheby's for $156,000. What is Kouzes and Posner leadership model? A complete set of individual issues, 1914-1959, sold for $495 on 5 Jan 2017. I also scanned around online to look at what dealers would offer but as you point out, this is very minimal indeed and really not worthwhile. National Geographic, published by Natl. The magazine is known for its . Estate Sales (this section borrowed with permission from Dale Murphy - Dec 2010): Having spent some significant part of a lifetime collecting the items, how does one later realize their true market value? (Note: This is an indicator that binding actually reduces the value of individual issues.). Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. ISSN. While the first issue will generally fetch upwards of $4000, the usual range is from $7-9,000, with a very few sales over the $10,000 mark. The image is a mere the tip of the iceberg of the content the official magazine of the National Geographic Society based in Washington, D.C. offered its readership over the years. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. . But before you get too excited, there are some factors that need to be considered age of the magazine, its condition, and even its . 6 which covers the 'first explorers on the moon'. Hyman is often asked whether old National Geographic magazines have any value. Contact dealers from the Collectors Corner. How do I sell my old National Geographic magazines? Famous Monsters of Filmland. 3 Where can I sell my old National Geographic magazines? Generally, a single issue of a National Geographic magazine from the early 1900s can be worth anywhere from $50 to $200. For instance, a copy of the magazine from the 1950s that features a story about the first successful ascent of Mount Everest would make for an expensive sale to National Geographic fans. Shigitatsu.com is also recognized by the National Geographic Society as an official National Geographic magazine rare and difficult to find back issue dealer. Im glad I waited for the right eBay moment! The largest selection of archived National Geographic magazines 1930-1939 on the internet with contents listed for each individual issue. I have two additional guides: 1) a proposed grading scheme for the NGM (the one I use); and 2) a guide on reprint versions. What is strange about these criteria is the least common practice of binding NGMs in the past has proven to be the most sought after format of binding in the present. Recall the numbers for rare and scarce mentioned above while reviewing the Quantity information below. $450.00. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Antique Christmas Ornaments Value: The Most Valuable Ornaments, 6 Key Tips to Help you Identify Your Antique Wooden Furniture. The National Geographic Magazine, March 1960 [National Geographic Society] on Amazon.com. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. To date, this is the highest price ever paid for a magazine, but that does not make it the most expensive magazine in the world. Among the rarest National Geographic magazines is the issue of 1904 which is virtually impossible to acquire even in a lower, fine condition, because this was the very first year pictures were inserted into the magazine, as we explained earlier. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Does anyone buy old National Geographic magazines? This historical data, combined with quantity published and quality definition should give the reader a basic understanding of the value for items being sold or purchased. Collectors generally look first to the binding. "National Geographic" magazines can be fun to look at, with articles about exotic locations and unique people and creatures. In that time it has published hundreds of magazines about science, nature and animals. *A Good April 1913, with map supplement, has become hard to find. You may be actually sitting on a goldmine. I've seen Aug 1914 with map supplement go for over $100. Until that event, most collectors were content with starting their collection around 1920 (because the earlier issues were just too difficult and costly to obtain). I like to useVery Good (VG) as a benchmark {there exists no accepted standard grading system for NG magazines though I am trying to address this with my Grading Guide}andwould describe this quality as: "There can be minor soiling, creasing (two minor tears) with moderate surface wear on the cover with moderate reflectivity andfading. The most recognized photograph in the history of National Geographic is the "Mt. His short answer is, "The early issues certainly do." . This edition is the December 1969 vol 136, no. Hyman is often asked whether old National Geographic magazines have any value. Answer: I guess anywhere u feel there would be a good buyer available , maybe a library ( yes they do buy but wont give u a good price mostly) or a pawn shop or a good magazine store which deals with such good books and sell to 2nd person , u can ask them to find a customer for u and give a certa. You can donate used magazines to a charitable organization, a school, a community group, a hospital or library. If you are a current subscriber of National Geographic Magazine, you have access to the full National Geographic Online Archive allowing you to see all articles dating back to 1888. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". If you are a subscriber, chances are you have many magazines around your home. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. ), Total Number of Reprints Published by the National Geographic Society (NGS). By 1914 more than 285,000copies per issuewere published each month. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Maps, Supplements & Inserts Special Issue Special Issue Going Home [ March 2023 ] National Geographic DVDs School Bulletin Classroom Magazine Browse Our Books Selection Specials See All $6.99 National Geographic Back Issues MySpace !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); Later, but still very old, "red-cover" issues . 2 What was the first National Geographic magazine? A set of bound volumes from 1915 1940 sold for $150.00 on 9 October 2015. You could call your local library or your local primary school as they may be interested in taking them. Donations. Values reflect this scarcity and a copy of the October 1898 "The Gold and Coal Fields of Alaska" would set you back at least $100, if you can find one. (Timing! Collectors, auctioneers and antique dealers are a good source of information about the value of old magazines. How to Sell National Geographic Magazines. His short answer is, The early issues certainly do. National Geographic dealers will pay at least $200 for issues published before 1905. Go to eBay and do a search for National Geographic Magazine. Youll find upwards of 20 thousand items listed. How many issues of National Geographic magazine were there? Are old National Geographic magazines worth anything? What is the most valuable National Geographic magazine? This auction included volumes 1 through 22 formatted as 1a or 1b above. Hyman is often asked whether old National Geographic magazines have any value. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. ## I collect volume data by year even if the year had two published volumes as with 1914 through 1917. Average price: $210-340 January, 1896: start of the regular monthly publication. www .nationalgeographic .com. While the first issue will generally fetch upwards of $4000, the usual range is from $7-9,000, with a very few sales over the $10,000 mark. Penthouse. These include the edition, edition type, and any special features or articles contained within the issue. National Geographic magazines can be fun to look at, with articles about exotic locations and unique people and creatures. Can you buy back issues of National Geographic? His short answer is, "The early issues certainly do." Find the terra-cotta colored number 1 or others from the 1880s . Later, but still very old, "red-cover" issues also have substantial value. Old issues of National Geographic magazines are highly sought after by collectors and can be worth a lot of money. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". For one, the content of the magazine. VG is my benchmark but there exists an entire range of quality assessments that follow comic book appraisals and include: Damaged, Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Near Mint and Mint. The sale went through in spite of our efforts. A set of bound volumes from 1913 1987 sold for $1,000.00 on 22 June 2016. Per cbsnew.com, the earliest issues of the National Geographic Magazine, like the terra-cotta colored number 1 and others from the 1880s, can easily fetch upwards of $4,000. How to find the collectorsvalue on National Geographic? Report an Issue | 5 How to find the collectorsvalue on National Geographic? 3 How much do old National Geographic magazines sell for? The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Where is National Geographic magazine sold? Where was the Dayton peace agreement signed? You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The May 1918 issue of National Geographic included an oversized map of the western front, the 400-mile battle line across France and Belgium where much of the fighting in World War I took place . and the condition of each. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Most of these variables would be considered subjective, i.e. Hyman is often asked whether old National Geographic magazines have any value. Where to Donate Magazines for Military Troops. C $16.79. C $29.66 shipping. "National Geographic" magazines can be fun to look at, with articles about exotic locations and unique people and creatures. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". What are the physical state of oxygen at room temperature? Few people today have never seen the famous June 1985 cover of the National Geographic magazine with the Afghan girl with green eyes. National geographic magazine job lot 122 magazines from 1964,66,68,74 and more. For those collectors now interested in completing their collections after the 1964 reprints were published, the 1908 through 1914's (especially in VG) instantly became difficult to find. Average price: $7000-9000 1891-1895: brochure issues (volume 3-6). The National Geographic Society has been in the business of teaching people about the Earth for over 100 years. No matter how good the rest of the issue is, without an intact binding, it can be assessed no better than Good (G). XYZ Collectibles states that 1891 issues sell for between $465 and $510, while 1900 year issues are valued between $100 and $200. hint!) This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. In addition to the monthly issues, National Geographic Magazine has had several special issues over the years. Hyman is often asked whether old National Geographic magazines have any value. Generally speaking, I have found the following decades (per issue)in the VG condition described above go for (sliding scale downward as you reach the end of the decade): 1910 - $35 (with war years sometimes asking more), 1940 - $7.50 (with war years sometimes asking more). Are National Geographic magazines from the 1960s worth anything? Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. But I've also seen a Fine August 1905 with map supplement go for $27. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. A book dealer would have asked twice that much. ++ Sold under format 1a or 1b above but was not part of the 1/18/10 auction. 54 out of a possible 167 reprints from 1893 to 1909 (with one 1908 and all 1909 originals) sold for $551.51 on 22 May 2015. One prudent way to go about judging the value of your old National Geographic magazines is by getting an accurate appraisal done. What is your opinion? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Shipping Weight: 14.1 ounces. There are too many variables for me to describe here such as type of binding, i.e. The condition of the magazine is also a factor when it comes to determining its value. How many magazines does the National Geographic Society publish? Why do people want a National Geographic Magazine? Definitely keep them if they're older than 1975 and in near-mint condition. Many of these issues feature stunning photography and detailed stories about some of the worlds most fascinating places and cultures. Old National Geographic Magazines (1 - 40 of 431 results) Price ($) Any price Under $25 $25 to $75 $75 to $100 Over $100 . I would say 90% of them are in mint condition. PRICING & COLLECTING INFO: The earliest issues of National Geographic are the most valuable, especially the first volume, which ocnsisted of only 4 issues. Tweet The General Magazine, co-published by Benjamin Franklin, consisted of just six issues. Violet Fenn is author of A History of the Vampire in Popular Culture. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. * The auction of 1/18/10 was the most complete set of high quality bound volumes Ive observed. Magazines that are in excellent condition can be worth more than those that are worn or torn. A more subjective reason for its scarcity comes with an understanding of what happened back in the early 1960's when the NGS reprinted the first 20 years of the National Geographic Magazine. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Secondly, where can I get rid of old National Geographic magazines? We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Also, "red cover" and other older issues published before 1905 grab dealers' attention, and you can easily profit at least $200 per magazine. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Quick links:Post An Article| View Archives Forum DT Magazine explains that the magazine only started monthly circulation in 1896 and, in the years before then, only nine issues were published. Why Determine the Appraisal Value of Your Old National Geographic Magazine Collection. Titles between 1906 and 1918 are also desirable and hard to find; retail prices may run between $10 and $25 apiece. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. or Best Offer. Basically, the further you go back in time, the higher the price gets. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. OLD AND NEW IN PERSIA: In This Ancient Land . So what is its value? With 195 original maps, extra: National Geographic Atlas, the 4th edition from 1975, with index 1888-1988. by N.N. 1, No.1 reprinted in 1975 (special identifier printed within), Volumes 8-18 (1898 1907) 500 copies per issue 1,500. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. It does not store any personal data. Pay attention to prices set by others for collections and the years of the collections. There are some anomalies,e.g. This is where Apprasily can help you. All of the other maps from the years 1892-1905 are also rare and will cost between $50 and $75 apiece. I have always treasured this edition as an amazing historical document and out of respect for the person who gave it to me. His short answer is, "The early issues certainly do." National Geographic dealers will pay at least $200 for issues published before 1905. The value of your old National Geographic magazines can even be worth thousands of dollars. While some wear is expected, an old National Geographic magazine must not be torn, scuffed, water marked or otherwise damaged to be considered a collectors item. The fewer of an item that people want the greater the demand, hence the greater the value (or cost) to the people who want it. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. National Geographic December 1969 Apollo 11 Landed on The Moon (without Record) C $38.70. His short answer is, " The early issues certainly do ." National Geographic dealers will pay at least $200 for issues published before 1905. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". So what is it that makes National Geographic magazines so valuable to collectors? . Donate them to a medical office. Yet another person might want a given magazine because it was published on their birthday or wedding day. I am slowly working on a guide to the annual index published each year from 1891 through 2010 by the NGS. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. This 1930s Barbasol advertisement recently sold for $12.95, which may not sound like a lot, but it is just one page from a magazine! Check out the Collectors Corner and Collectors Forum on the National Geographic website. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Enter a Melbet promo code and get a generous bonus, An Insight into Coupons and a Secret Bonus, Organic Hacks to Tweak Audio Recording for Videos Production, Bring Back Life to Your Graphic Images- Used Best Graphic Design Software, New Google Update and Future of Interstitial Ads. How much are old National Geographic maps worth? By clicking Accept All, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. This Bo Jackson magazine ad recently sold for $9.99. A set of bound volumes from 1912 1965 sold for $125.00 on 10 October 2016. There is most often an inverse correlation between quantity published and demand, i.e. You can donate your used magazines to troops of the US military. Known for its photojournalism, it is one of the most widely read magazines of all time. Far fewer were issued - and even fewer have survived. If you need to search for past National Geographic magazine content, check your local library for access to National . Thank you also for posting the 'grading standards' which you use which is also really helpful and a very necessary tool for buyers and sellers and I will definitely be using this. Get the best deal for National Geographic Magazines from the largest online selection at eBay.ca. eBay. How much is National Geographic company worth? There are some content criteria, however, that are fairly standard objective variables for determining value. Due to current circumstances however it becomes necessary for me to consider selling it.