Visit Jennifer Nelson-Williams website and Facebook to learn more. Instagram: @carmel.hs.rams. Four Candidates for Carmel School Board. (845) 878-4337, School Safety and the Educational Climate (SSEC) Reporting, Fee Schedule for Damaged/Missing Devices or Accessories, Westchester Community Opportunity Program, Bill of Rights for Data Privacy & Security, Computer Use in Instruction/Responsible Use, See a recording of the virtual Meet the Candidates event. Congratulations to Carmel High School sophomores and Science Research Program students Kayleigh Harney and Kaitlin Furu for their recent acceptance into the Mianus River Gorge Wildlife Technician Program in nearby Bedford, NY. In the neighboring Mahopac Central School District, the spending plan was approved 917-694. P.O. Carmel Clay Schools will hold a School Board election for 3 seats (District 1, District 2, and District 3) on November 8, 2022. Across Hamilton County, 38candidates were on the ballot for 14 seatson school boards in the countys six public school districts. There was also a bulletin board in the building hosted by the Family and Consumer Science Department where students and staff could post their healthy recipes. 1) We do have one member of the BBS slate joining the school board. Voter registration is done by mail or in person at the Putnam County Board of Elections, 25 Old Route 6, Carmel, N.Y. 10512 (845-808-1300). Stephanie Flittner is a mother and attorney. Without your willingness to put yourselves out there and capitalize on every opportunity to push back against the propaganda, this nationally driven movement wouldve steamrolled our school board. Adam Sharp is a father of 3 and recently retired ED physician. (845) 878-4337. Three of seven school board seats are up for election. Nelson-Williams fundraises through ActBlue, a tool for Democratic candidates up and down the ballot., Nelson-Williams says she will work to bridge the gaps in education caused by the pandemic.. Local veterans received Valentines Day messages of thanks from district students this year and some cards included a special video message! Read more about the annual presentation and see a video of the performances. Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator. Register for the seminar online at www.election.state.ny.us or by phone with the Putnam County Board Of Elections at . In District 1, Kouka earned 39.49 percent of the vote to finish 117 votes ahead of Jenny Brake (39.15 percent). All three races for Carmel school board seats came down to the wire, with Kristin L. Kouka, Jennifer Nelson-Williams and Greg Brown winning by narrow margins. Three of the five board seats on the ballot. On June 1, 2006, the New York State Board of Elections will offer a seminar on campaign finance at Putnam County Bureau of Emergency Services"Tops" Building, 112 Old Route 6 in Carmel. We need help from our legislatures. Yes, I would like to receive emails from Current Publishing. Although voters defeated the proposed budget, the proposition to implement a system of walk-in voter registration passed by a vote of 1,470 to 903. Democratic Republican Other Runoff Putnam County. Third-grade students at Matthew Paterson Elementary School brought good luck, fortune and prosperity to the school building during Lunar New Year with their festive dragon artwork! Under the New York State education law, the school board is responsible for . Annual Budget Vote & Board Member Election Unofficial Results: Proposition #1 (Budget): No: 1,296; Yes: 1,125 Proposition #2 (Walk-In Voter Registration): Yes: 1,470; No: 903 Board Candidates: John C. Curzio II: 1,328 Melissa Orser: 1,233 Jason Paraskeva: 1,170 Michelle Yorio: 1,101 Tamara Harrison: 958 I think it's important to remember the degree to which his campaign had to misrepresent our schools and misinform our community to get him there. All rights reserved. Read more about the student projects and see photos from the fair! Visit Stephanie Flittners website and Facebook to learn more. We know that community partnerships are essential in this regard. It was a cozy, fun and educational day for Ms. Tierney and Mrs. Pregnos kindergarten students at Kent Primary School as they prepared for hibernation but only for one day, not the full winter! I know its traditional to congratulate candidates on their wins, but I would actually like to congratulate the parents of CCS students on the election of Kristin Kouka and Jennifer Nelson-Williams to the board. Any of the candidates could request a recount. Kent Schacht finished fourth with 161 to earn one year to complete the term of former Trustee Jill Lake, who resigned. We hold everyone in our school system to standards of basic respect and human decency. Teachers and students decorated around the doorways of classrooms using words of positive affirmation to promote self-respect and kindness to ourselves and others. I am a degreed Electrical Engineer and Co-founder of KPG Automation in Bristol, CT. Jennifer Nelson-Williams is a mother of 2, incumbent School Board member, and Carmel business owner. I volunteered to do this job during difficult times because I wanted to be a voice for our parents, community and children. Meet the Candidates for the Carmel Central School District Board of Education There are three (3) Board of Education seats up for election. Visit Lori Longs website and Facebook to learn more. Superintendent Zehrwill be hosting forums for parents and guardians to discuss safety and security, as well as our districts culture and climate: At these forums, we will provide information about our current safety and security policies in the district and our collaborative working relationship with our local law enforcement agencies. Kouka has shared posts defending Critical Race Theory. | Free to Learn Action 2022. Three incumbents, Courtney McCarthy (178), David Gelber (178) and Madeline Julian (191), were all reelected to new three-year terms on the Board of Education. Long Jennifer Nelson-Williams (incumbent) Adam Sharp District 3 Gregory (Greg) S. Brown Jake Nichols Long says her top priorities are for students to feel safe, valued, and understand they will be held to high expectations for academic excellence.. In celebration of the Lunar New Year, Carmel High School art students created colorful, festive and fun decorations to adorn the buildings atrium. After choosing to stay home to raise my girls, I began my career at St. James the Apostle School. A slate of three conservative candidates were down in early voting but the margin narrowed as returns were tallied. As a mother and an educator, I couldnt ask for more. It is in this spirit that I volunteered for eight years as a coach in the CRYFAC program where I had the privilege to work with student athletes and their families. The Carmel Board of Education will meet Thursday at 7 p.m. to determine next steps, following the defeat of its proposed $133,581,366 budget for the 2021-2022 school year, a press release stated. 2021-2022 Budget and School Board . During the week of Valentine's Day, classrooms in George Fischer Middle School participated in a doorway decorating contest organized by the PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) team. It's part of the continuing . 81 South Street All rights reserved. I am confident that the accomplishments and happiness they have achieved is in great part due to the experiences they had in Carmel. Our calendar at a glance provides information on planned school recesses, early dismissals, report card conferences and calendar changes due to snow days. CUSD Board of Education. Grace Hollars, Colin Boyle and Kelly Wilkinson, Indianapolis Star, Our subscriber-exclusive newsletter filled with local education news, provide oversight and write policies for their respective districts, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy, Susan Chamberlin-Dawes (While still on the ballot, Chamberlin-Dawes gave her support to Paige Miller) 5.83%, Carl A. Johnson IV, the incumbent 9.37%. Im an involved parent in our district. Welcome to Carmel Central School District. Tuesday, August 16, 2022. The seminar will run from 9:30 am 12:30 pm. Student musicians are selected to be a part of the All-County weekend based on their previous spring NYSSMA solo festival scores. Absentee Ballots Application for an absentee ballot can be downloaded below, or by contacting the district clerk, Joanne Stevens, at 845-878-2094, ext. I also believe in the importance of community involvement in our schools. Kouka, Nelson-Williams and Nichols ran as a slate supporting the current direction of Carmel Clay Schools, while Brown, Brake and Sharp ran as a GOP-endorsed slate seeking change. proposes new sanitation grading system. P.O. If you're still preparing to vote in this year's election, I hope that you'll listen to what they have to say. If the board chooses to adopt a contingency budget, it must freeze the district tax levy, cut spending and reduce staffing. State and Local Primary June 28, 2022. Paid for by Free to Learn Action. Barnes includes parental involvement among his top priorities and takes aim at district policies that have sought to sideline family involvement. The Carmel Board of Education will meet Thursday at 7 p.m. to determine next steps, following the defeat of its proposed $133,581,366 budget for the 2021-2022 school year, a press release stated. Brown lists parents rights and transparency as his top priorities. Students each chose an individual to research and then created a presentation highlighting that persons achievements, personal lives and historical contributions. Board members serve without pay for staggered three-year terms. by board of elections is June 2. The results are unofficial and are yet to be certified. 2018 GENERAL ELECTION RESULTS. The Carmel Central School District Board of Education comprises seven members elected by district residents at the annual election and budget vote held each spring. Visit Sheldon Barnes website and Facebook to learn more. This school district is outside of that coverage scope and does not receive scheduled updates. Read more about the presentations and why students chose specific individuals! Participants were asked to wear red to bring awareness to living a healthy lifestyle and being good to their hearts. Mahopac School District Budget and Board Elections Unofficial Results . Nelson-Williams says inclusivity and equity are among her priorities. The Carmel Central School District Board of Education comprises seven members elected by district residents at the annual election and budget vote held each spring. In Carmel, the budget was voted down 1,296-1,125. All residents may vote on the three available seats, as well as the District's budget. To contact the full Board of Education, you may send an email toBOE@carmelschools.org. In addition to that I am the security supervisor of a school district in Westchester County. My wife and I have been married for 15 years. Stay CURRENT with our daily newsletter (M-F) and breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox for free! As a reward for receiving 300 compliments for good behavior already this year, the students voted on a fun activity to celebrate their achievements. 60 McAlpin Avenue, Mahopac, New York 10541(845) 628-1500, Website DisclaimerGovernment Websites by CivicPlus, Parking Permit for Persons with Disabilities, Application for Public Access to Records - Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Request, Application to Collect Commercial Garbage and Refuse in the Town of Carmel, Copies of Marriage, Birth, or Death Certificates, Obtaining a Parking Permit for Persons with Severe Disabilities, Subject Matter List and Office Retention Schedule. Longtime Trustee Guy Cohen did not run for reelection. Copyright 1999 2023 GoDaddy Operating Company, LLC. See the Board-approved calendar at a glance for the 2022-23 school year. All three of the district seats are up for election. Study Hall:Our subscriber-exclusive newsletter filled with local education news.