15, 12, by Americaoncoffee. Wests parents said they have now hired a private investigator who is working with the San Francisco Police Department and Orange County (North Carolina) Sheriffs Department. Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. The articles abstract states: Following the interventions, there was an 86% reduction in jumping suicides per year at the sites in question (95% CI 79% to 91%). The memoir Half in Love: Surviving the Legacy of Suicide captures very well, to a painful degree, how someone who deeply loves their children can simultaneously feel pulled to end her life. "Jump." That's the word Kevin Hines heard in his head on September 25, 2000, as he stood on the Golden Gate Bridge. I wonder what psychotherapy he has tried. Sydney West never returned home, and has not been heard from since. I hope you believe your words here, or at least are beginning to. Im about to be 22, medicated trying to live normal with constant suicidal thoughts. I was able to make it out of the hopelessness and despair that led to my attempt. Have had lots of therapy after that. The entire bridge in covered with CCTV cameras monitored 24/7, and footage is retained for 6 months as it is federal land and monitored by Homeland Security. Interviews with jump survivors and potential jumpers . Not having the courage to fulfill my plan, I checked into treatment centers and each time I checked out I sank into suicidal depression again. Suicide prevention can save lives. His father had died by suicide and even though I knew all of this, I couldnt see the forest through the trees. Clad in two suits, weighted boots, football padding, another rubber suit and a football helmet that onlookers described as giving him a man-from-Mars look, Rhodes also had three parachutes on his back to ease his fall. Obviously, the will to live does not reassert itself in everyone who has tried to die. Look at life this way Instead of allowing a human being to be a target almost like a bomb dropping on ringed target Simply flip the idea of all the violence and fear over..Draw a Large Heart then several hearts within Make a plan for dreams and plans Stick to it .. She took a ride-share service. I live with a higher purpose now, but prior to my children I went through hell and constantly entertained the thought of killing myself. I hope that he is able to get effective help, both psychologically and pharmaceutically. At the age of 19, Kevin Hines attempted to commit suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, an all-too-common act that nearly always results in death. I hope you will read it and take its words to heart. Each. In this clinical case conference, the authors begin by presenting vignettes to capture the diversity of bridge suicide. Video footage from the bridge has been carefully reviewed by investigators but due to foggy and smoky conditions camera views where obstructed making it impossible to tell her exact location on the bridge. Camera footage has been reviewed and interviews have been conducted among West's friends and acquaintances, but there are no leads. I did find this website and it has so much information that I needed to read. Case Contact Information: SFPD at 415-575-444 or text TIP411 (Start your message with SFPD) Or contact: private investigator Scott Dudek at 925-705-8328 or dudek.associates@gmail.com, *there is a reward for information that leads to her location and return, For more info: https://findsydneywest.com/ Facebook: Find Sydney West Instagram @find_sydney_west Polly Klaas Foundation: https://www.pollyklaas.org/missing-children/sydney-west/, Sources: https://pleasantonweekly.com/news/2021/09/30/what-a-week-find-sydney-west https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/searching-for-sydney-san-francisco-police-still-asking-for-publics-help/?fbclid=IwAR2uVE3anCjr5EvpUerTiD6JZxCAENR83-xIRz3TRzAfRuGckyYFzRqnobM https://storiesoftheunsolved.com/2020/11/27/the-disappearance-of-sydney-west/. Copyright 2013-2023 Stacey Freedenthal. I know someone who hanged themself 18 months ago after a buildup of personal problems and much alcohol that night, but rescue services were called and saved him. Me and my childrens life broke into pieces and our life will never be the same. Turns out, it was a recording of Sydney singing. She vanished without a trace from San Francisco, California, near the Golden Gate Bridge, a popular tourist spot for many. The four-second fall from the Golden Gate Bridge sends a person plunging 245 feet (75 m) at 75 miles per hour (121 km/h) to . Come home.. Thank you for reaching out to Joan and offering your support. All theses years following, I did not feel good about myself, am reunited with my nephew, reading up on how to talk to him. About his dads suicide, your article helping me a lot to help. Im sorry to hear of your loss Theres another post that might be helpful to you, too: You Cant Do Everything: Limitations in Helping a Suicidal Person. It was a serious, intentional attempt to end my own life. Upon its completion in 1937, it was the tallest and longest suspension bridge in the world. Anyone with information is asked to call 415-575-4444. We cannot overlook that 10% of people who survive a suicide attempt do go on to die by suicide. It seems to be an if all else fails, Ill just kill myself attempt to cope that gives me short-term comfort but itlike alcoholonly provides temporary relief and Im still left with my limited ability to cope with life. I was so worried about him, but he refused to get help and he kept drinking. The ongoing survival of people who attempt suicide is not (always) inevitable. I am not sure anybody really wants to die but I know many people, including myself, who are just sick and tired of living and want it to be over. Please enter valid email address to continue. PLEASANTON, Calif. (KRON) Nearly a year has gone by since a Bay Area college student, Sydney West, vanished in San Francisco. Or, at least, balanced! Too, people who attempt suicide may receive the help they need afterwards. What, Im supposed to carry on with the HOPE that things MIGHT get better. Sydney West is from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, but also grew up in the Pleasanton area. Everything says Get help. But things went wrong for Dusty as he climbed the rails to attempt the feat. God will come through for you but you have to make an attempt. Praying for you. She grew up in Pleasanton, CA and then moved to Chapel Hill, NC with her family during high school. Dialectical behavior therapy? They then examine the demographic characteristics of those who commit suicide from the bridge as well as the fatal attraction of the Golden Gate Bridge. At least twelve hundred people have been seen jumping or have been found in the water since the bridge opened, in 1937, including Roy Raymond, the founder of Victoria's Secret, in 1993, and. She was last seen in long, dark leggings, a teal hooded sweatshirt and slip-on Vans in a dark green and black print. I will just speak it: Their lies destroyed me and there is no one on earth greater than you and those you love and want to protect. While in Australia she started blogging about beginning to experience bouts of depression on top of her anxiety. similar to cancer ads, etc. Bonnie. Thats why I searched for answers and I found this site. One desperate and hurt person to another. I use to hate her for wanting to leave me, got diagnosed w depression at 15 have done so many therapy sessions. Anyone who has seen her since is also asked to contact San Francisco police at 415-575-4444 or the family's private investigator at 925-705-8328. The chances of surviving are less than 1.5%, and almost zero if the feet don't hit first. Any information could help so if you know anyone that was in that area around that time, please use contact information provided below. In Mental Health circles there is a saying , that Sometimes suicide is inevitable. Log In Sign Up. Even so, bridge foreman Arthur Olson caught up with the stuntman as the crowd gathered, and grabbed him, but lost his grip, only succeeding in ripping free one of the harnesses. West vanished Sept. 30 in San Francisco. I had my suicidal thoughts since I was a child I lost my mum when I was 9 years old she took her own life and even now after my attempt I still dont know how to feel about what happened to her and what I have done to my self but I know I will have to find a way to live with the impact of my attempt and hopefully find a way to some sort of happiness, Please seek help, therapy to work through your trauma, it must be so hard to have lost your mum in this way and your nine year old self could only feel abandoned, not enough to have stopped her. It is wonderful that having children seems to have inoculated you against suicidal thoughts. San Francisco Police have previously said the teenager "is considered at risk due to depression." I was driving toward the Hoover Dam bypass bridge from Memphis over 4 years ago to jump off. Police do not necessarily believe there was foul play involved, according to an interview Rueca had with KRON4. Woke up yesterday and realized I needed to make another pilgrimage before the series begins. Confessed to my dad and got shipped to a hospital. Public File for KBCW-TV / KBCW 44 Cable 12. Its sad how much youve suffered, and its inspirational how differently you feel right now. Berkeley. Privacy Policy. Simply put unless you die the battle won or pain doesnt matter. I understand completely. It happens. I think this message needs to be made more clear and put in ads, etc. I am literally living day by day and full of guilt, regret and anger. A jump off the Golden Gate Bridge takes around four seconds, during which a person will reach a speed of 80 mph before smashing into the water's surface like concrete. Thanks again. "This will be the biggest jump of my life," he told her. "I just want to reach out to all the folks that have been supporting us over the past almost month now, communicate that the support and the love that we get is just absolutely amazing," Wests dad, Jay West, said in the clip. Well living isnt what its cracked up to be. Yes I know this fear of failure as well. It is true that suicide sometimes defies even the best efforts to thwart it. SFGATE news editor Amy Graff contributed to this report. Any suggestions? Others need to respect the decision. Perfectly so. Horrified spectators screamed and mothers covered their childrens eyes as Chief Sundowns lifeless body bobbed under the bridge and out to sea. West was born in Walnut Creek and lived briefly in Castro Valley before her family moved to Pleasanton. It may help,, Kind Regards, This case has always stuck with me because I am in my 20s and suffer from anxiety and depression. He has visited mental hospitals several times since his jump. I also knew that there was no hope whatsoever for what was wrong with me. Andrew was formerly a Creative Executive at Westbrook Studios. San Francisco police and the Orange County Sheriffs Office in North Carolina did not immediately respond to a request for comment from SFGATE. America feeds narcissistic women because their joy is in materialistic consumption, the backbone of this country that once believed life had a higher purpose. West had just gone off to college to her dream school, University of California Berkeley. I am a suicide survivor from India. But what about people like me? As a person who has tried countless times to end my life, even shooting myself in the head, we are stuck living with yet another feeling of failure when we fail and continue suffering. It is true that. For me, the will to live kicked in. I saw the signs, the depression, his feelings of hopelessness, but somehow its easier to see the signs after it happens and not while you are in the throes of this emotional rollercoaster. Dont believe anyone who tells you differently. It was the last thing Dusty did, and it was a failure, she said. Thanks for sharing your story here. I think it could be helpful to you. SFGATE's Editor-at-Large Andrew Chamings is a British writer in San Francisco. At the time, a made for TV movie, named Silence of the Heart came out. If you havent already joined a support group for other suicide loss survivors, that might help you; such groups are available in person and online. The Golden Gate Bridge is the number one suicide site in the world. Rhodes, who also went by his native Navajo name Chief Sundown, was no stranger to danger. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I tried to commit suicide when I was 18. I would bet that most, if not all, had narcissistic mothers. I used to believe my problems are so intractable that the only way out of my pain was suicide. A vigil was held last week for West in Pleasanton. I cant get beyond the pain. The chances of surviving. Each year I did - 2004, 2007, and 2013 - the Red Sox went on to win the World Series. Sydney West Cameras on the Golden Gate Bridge recorded Sydney the morning of Sept. 30. America doesnt feed narcissistic people and men are more materialistic. It is always wonderful to hear from someone who made it out to the other side. I am hopeful that similar results will be found after the suicide barrier at the Golden Gate bridge is in place. Had she jumped somebody definitely would have noticed, and it would've been caught on CCTV (the cameras are placed on light poles so fog does not block). Sadly, your post is being used by some commenters to justify the Golden Gate Bridge net boondoggle. You cant will people to live. :A Follow-up Study of Suicide Attempters fromthe Golden Gate Bridge.. Youve been through an enormous amount. Press J to jump to the feed. He once tried to jump off the Aloha Tower in Honolulu only to be thwarted at the last minute by police. After he was rescued, he continued to live, and lives still, serving as a suicide prevention advocate at the national level. In 2000, he actually did jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. But 10 years later, Im there again. Another possibility is that the instinct to live kicks in once someone comes close to dying. You can find a life worth living, too, if you set your mind to finding solutions. After graduating high school in 2019, she decided to take a gap year in Australia. PART OF AUDACY NEWS. As well, though, I believe I may have accidentally given myself something like ECT. Wishing you peace, I am both, not realizing this until reading today My dad ended his life by his own hands , when I was 9. Peace be with you Steven. Indie Pop Star Michelle Lambert Kicks Off the Bankhead Courtyard Concert Series! I often want to jump off the bridge by my apartment. This is certainly true for me: narcissistic mother and sister. Wests parents led a socially-distanced vigil in Pleasanton last Thursday. Lorraine Rhodes was destitute, and asked Show Folks of America to help pay for the funeral, which they did. Michael Horan at 415-553-1028 or the family's private investigator at 925-705-8328. I knew then that I would never try it again. We talked a lot about loving each other. You note that installation of a suicide barrier at the Bloor Viaduct in Toronto merely caused people to go to other locations in Toronto to die by suicide. My family lied to me about basically everything relevant and valuable in life. Key to my recovery was becoming realistic about my part in creating the calamity called my life, but also needed to recognize others responsibilities as well. Her father grew worried when she didnt call the next day the day she was last spotted in San Francisco. The family of a Sydney West, a 19-year-old Pleasanton native and former Foothill High School student, is again asking the public for any information about their daughters whereabouts leading up to her disappearance last month in San Francisco. And the children are adults now. 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. So in a couple days with no vehicle no money and no job, Im just supposed to trudge on, because life is precious or whatever other placating device people Banty about? The corpse was pulled from the water by the Coast Guard a mile from the bridge 20 minutes later. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and was last seen wearing a sweatshirt, dark-colored shorts and blue Vans sneakers. They have a good, nonjudgmental, and supportive discussions at ChronicSuicideSupport.com/forum/. As a teenager, I related so closely and had so many mixed emotions in comparing the results of my vs the characters attempts. It is important to note that there has been no activity on her phone, bank accounts, or social media accounts since Sept. 30. But I have. She is described as standing 5'10", weighing about 130 pounds, with light brown hair and blue eyes and possibly wearing glasses. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Wests parents confirmed in a new video released late Thursday she was last seen shortly before 7 a.m. on the Golden Gate Bridge. I was determined and had written a detailed letter with instructions for the police and family. "There were many people in that vicinity during that time," said Mr. West. But, as you said, the problem is also bigger than a question of means. She was a student at Donlon Elementary and Hart Middle schools and attended Foothill High School for her freshman and sophomore years. Andrew has written for The Atlantic, Vice, SF Weekly, the San Francisco Chronicle, McSweeney's, The Bold Italic, Drowned in Sound and many other places. I find myself returning to that time in my life and wondering if this is the way Im supposed to go, or if the survival instinct will continue to win. Sergeant Kevin Briggs (also known as the Guardian of the Golden Gate Bridge [1] [2]) is a California Highway Patrol officer noted for his work in suicide intervention, having dissuaded more than two hundred people from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco Bay. I just need time to tidy up affairs, belongings, finances, assemble the plan. After all, they were intent on dying. Maybe some of the posts on this site could be helpful to him? Dec. 11, 2019 Updated: Dec. 12, 2019 8:06 a.m. 5. Anyone with information about Sydneys whereabouts is asked to contact private investigator Scott Dudek by texting or calling 925-705-8328. and the evidence around them is not good. If you want to talk with someone immediately by phone, text, or chat, please check out the Resources page. In the midst of a struggle with mental illness, Hines got a running start . I once attributed that simply to having realized I wanted to live and (narrowly) surving my attempt. As his wife described, without the weighted boots to keep him upright, Rhodes' body arched forward, eventually meeting the water face-first. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it. If prior research is any indication, the barrier will save lives, even when taking into account people who go elsewhere to die by suicide. January 25, 2021 / 11:03 AM Both my son and I said we woud never consider it again, after that. In the 1970s, a researcher named Richard Seiden wanted to find out what happened to 515 people who came to the Golden Gate Bridge to die within the previous 35 years, but who were stopped by California Highway Patrol officers. and our In 2000, he actually did jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. Berkeley when she went missing on September 30, 2020. I recently lost a good friend to suicide. He grew up in the Los Angeles area, went to UC Berkeley and has previously worked as a news reporter at USA Today and SFGATE and as a music writer at NPR. What Dr. Seiden found is a remarkable testament to the fact that a suicidal crisis is often very often temporary.