Less fluffy bedding like wood chips also makes it easier for piglets to move around. Kunekune pigs are exactly as their name is translated. My girls (2&6) loved helping get wood for the fire, seeing the pigs and chasing the cats around camp. Everything was fantastic, the location is beautiful, accommodation so, cosy and the venue itself is incredible. Would like to thank you guys for making Ritchie and Louise's, wedding day so perfect! The wedding day went seamlessly and our guests were blown away by the venue. At this time, exportation of the Kunekune occurred. The views, the yurts and your hospitality are. From our first visit to Barnutopia we knew it was where we wanted to have our wedding. My sister has realised that yurts arn't just tents!! We loved glamping! Make sure to think ahead and install fencing that is also suitable for piglets. While no one knows for sure, they are thought to be a cross of Berkshire, Poland China and possibly Gloucester Old Spots among pigs . This was our 3rd time here (NYE) and it's just a superb, chilled out place to completely switch off and enjoy the, simple things. They graze on grass and, providing you have enough of it, dont really need anything else in the summer. From DNA analysis, it seems that Kunekune pigs have Asian origins. romantic, cosy feel in beautiful surroundings, We're just back from a wonderful few days of glamping and wedding celebrations at Barnutopia. Met some great people. The younger the pig, the more sensitive they will be to the cold and will need a heat lamp. Thank you so much for allowing us to have our special day here, it was absolutely perfect and an experience we will never forget. "But if a high-quality pasture is not available, whether it be due to drought or just not enough grass to feed a hungry adult pig, pot-bellied pig pellets and grass pellets can be used to supplement the diet." . A big group of us stayed at barnutopia over a weekend in November. Rotating pastures will keep the pigs from overgrazing the fields. They are considered part of the breed standard. Pigs are quite resistant to tetanus, but if they do get the disease, they do not respond well to treatment, and most die. Yurt was very comfortable and we were made very welcome the three boys loved feeding the horses playing with the kittens and feeding Felix the pig everything about the short stay was enjoyable including the free pancake breakfast we hope to return again. We stayed in yurt Axana with 4 adults and 3 children, there was so much. Barnutopia. Learn why do pigs like mud. These types of breeds are prone to get fat easily, so do be . Loved everything about it! Thanks for a great weekend, we will be back! (The Polynesian work 'kunekune' simply means 'plump'.) Outstanding. Alfalfa pellets may also be used to supplement the diet in winter to add protein (about 1/3 cup twice per day with water to soften). This is glamping at it's best. Kunekune pigs live for about 20 years. They will secrete this fat subcutaneously and not gain muscle. It is especially plentiful in areas that have been used for horses. We would definitely look into returning in the future (if you will have us back )! Higher protein pellets (up to 16 percent) should be offered in very cold weather. We were made to feel so, welcome. AVOID meat or anything that would be considered junk food. We had all the yurts, cabin and stables also some extra tent campers. If pigs are expecting food all the time, they will demand it whenever they want. Iron deficient anemia is a concern in piglet care. Mr and, Mrs B are so helpful, recommending places and dinning options, try the breakfast, pancakes to die for, everything you need is there, and the animals are an added bonus! Other places allow pigs up to a certain size to be kept as pets, as long as they are kept on a leash or in an enclosed area outdoors. The staff are so attentive, friendly and an absolute credit. They need less protein than other pig breeds so more of their diet can consist mostly of vegetables, grains and grass. The breakfast served the following morning was delicious and they couldn't have done any more for us. Super Lean is a good pig nut and stops them getting fat. Katrina and Steve went above and beyond what we would expect from venue owners. 1. What more can I say. Just like some goats do. It is soo peaceful. Just got back from four night break at barnutopia and already looking to book again soon :) Beautiful surroundings, amazing Yurt with everything you could possibly need inside, so comfy and warm and the best thing about it were the amazing hosts, Katrina, Steve and their gorgeous children - made me feel so welcome (was staying on my own), very informative with directions and places to visit, great conversation and the food was AMAZING - Thank you Katrina :) Would highly recommend to anyone wanting a camping experience with a bit of glamour - we'll be back xxx, Steve and Katrina (and kids) were outstanding as hosts. Loved it and would recommend to anyone! X, My little family had an amazing time at Barnutopia over Christmas. When compared to commercial pigs, they don't need as much protein, so it is quite common to grass feed them with the combination of other vitamins and minerals they need. Breathing is effortless and they have a more correct alignment of teeth. Historians theorize that traders from New Zealand and the Maori people managed to get the pigs to New Zealand. Katrina and Steve are lovely hosts and cant do enough for you. Katrina and Steve went above and beyond to help us, and make us welcome. Iron can be administered by injection in the first day or two. From what Ive seen, the best way to prevent any losses is to take an active role in removing the piglets into their own safe area (where they can still see mom) and allowing them to feed off mom about every hour or so. Keep Kunekune gilts (young females) away from intact boars from the time they are weaned. But we will be back! They are a large breed of pig that originated in New Zealand. Book Now!!! Two litters per year gives the body a chance to recover in between litters. I will 100% be going back to stay here. We made full use of the Party barn and facilities, including Pizzas, cooked breakfasts and pancakes and we had a huge BBQ on the Sunday where no one went hungry X, Absolutely fantastic time. . Milk raised pork makes for tasty meat . What a fantastic place Barnutopia is !! Animals were a treat and there were many comparisons with Zeva and other family pets Zeva won every time apparently! Lots of love Angela & Rob xxx. kune kune with attitude . Therefore, fighting occurs especially during mixing of unfamiliar animals. Kunekune pigs are pregnant on average for about 116 days. Kunekune pigs can also be kept in a barn or outside setting. This would be things like a triangle shelter so piglets can sleep in the corners. It is great for couples, families and party's. Recommended reading, Small scale outdoor pig breeding by Wendy Scudamore (past chairman of the BKKPS.) Thanks Steve and katrina for such s memorable weekend. Our baby jaxon tried them so Katrina made some especially for us to take home. Ensure all susceptible pigs are in clean paddocks free of scrub and long grass to reduce the risk of exposure to ticks. The nicest and most, welcoming people you could ever wish for! It will take them about 2 years to reach slaughter weight. By the 1970s, the Kunekune breed was near extinction in the Pacific Islands. Gestation: 116 days. The yurts were lovely, the beds were comfy. Do pigs bite? They will dig, jump, and climb if they feel their needs are not being met. Thank you so much! Myself, my husband and every single one of our guests commented on how amazing the whole experience was. Her farrowing pen should be dry and warm. Keep track of your sows estimated farrowing day and put her in a safe area about a week before she is due to give birth. Kunekune pigs can thrive without imports in a well-designed pasture/orchard system. beautiful location, the yurt was cosy and the bed extremely comfortable. You may want to consider Kunekunes if you are interested in raising meat pigs or just starting out with livestock. Double that amount for winter feeding with access to plenty of hay. Discuss your pig's diet with your veterinarian and avoid feeding them extra treats, like table scraps. Farrowing huts should be roughly 7.5 by 5 feet. Wow wow wow, I cannot recommend this enough, just got back after a two night stay, and cannot wait to return! If you aren't into camping, give this a try, it's fab . absolutely loved it! As olly put it, " I don't want to leave "! Clean, friendly and accommodating, we would certainly recommend! All rights reserved. This still provides some bedding but also makes it easier for the piglets to maneuver out of moms way and not get crushed. Oink! There is one condition called congenital tremors which occurs in pigs and is genetic in origin. You can bathe your pig every few weeks in your tub or an outdoor bath using baby shampoo or shampoo specially formulated for pigs. And our dog had a great time playing with his new friends (Zorro & Zeba). Though I find them to be quite unsightly and prefer them without wattles. That being said, this high level of intelligence means your pig will become bored (and potentially destructive) when it doesnt have enough activities and social interaction. Nose rings are considered unkind. We went for a wedding last month, and were blown away by how stunning Barnutopia is. Characteristics, Housing, Diet, and Other Information. The kids in our group loved it as did the dogs and the next time we come to stay ( yes we will be back) I'm definitely trying the Yurts out. What an amazing experience, thank you to the staff for a great family day out. At BF Farm we . Something to note is that they are considered a lard breed pig. I have girls that lay . Super chilled, super beautiful! We were so well. Thus she is pregnant. Farrowing huts should be roughly 7.5 by 5 feet. We had a really nice time looking around our potential wedding venue, Mrs B. the owner, is just fabulous ! Breeders might try to label them as mini pigs . From then on it was certain we would always have pastured pork. At some point, they were brought to New Zealand. I was told the male was proven. Just returned from a fabulous weekend in Nanny Iris at Barnutopia! Males its best to wait until theyre at least 12 months old. In the summer months, the pig's diet should be a combination of grass and fresh vegetables. Very friendly and sociable atmosphere sitting around the, campfire toasting marshmallows under the stars , I cant express how much fun me and my family had over this Easter weekend at Barnutopia. Congratulations on everything in such a short amount of time. Once in the spring and once in the fall (like most other livestock). We had the most perfect day yesterday, getting married at the beautiful Barnutopia! All males. Or if they are in a stall, theyll poop in a designated corner. Roughly 100-120#. We all had an amazing time and would recommend it to, anyone. I'll be coming back for sure! They can also go as high as $1,600, and Ive seen them as low as $100. Torik and I had a wonderful experience at Barnutopia! Kunekune pigs are incredibly intelligent and will pick up any attempts at training very quickly. The yurt was beautiful and very comfortable. Ben January 10, 2021 livestock, pigs ethical omnivore, grassfed grazing pigs. A stressed-out momma and cause unnecessary complications. call every evening! Are Kunes True Pasture Pigs? ), Falcone Family Farms Blog Started 10/12/18. Should You Keep a Potbellied Pig as a Pet? These days, they are raised as pets or livestock. Some guests tell us they come only to meet our piggies. Pizza on the first night, breakfast both days (we all agreed, the best pancakes we have ever eaten), afternoon tea (which was beautifully laid out) and an evening meal. Patches of lesions can signify around 50-100 bites. Thank you Steve and Katrina for welcoming my son and I into your home. In the low winter temperatures, mature pigs just need draft-free housing and bedding to stay warm. Then once a year. Disclosure. We have experience with both the Idaho Pasture Pigs and the Kunekune pigs. There is no rhyme or reason as to why some of this breed have wattles and others dont. 44 would be adequate for all stages, except the first month or so of life, when the piglets are still very small.