Yes, indeed, Viking does provide guests robes and slippers. Easy care, wrinkle-free, breathable fabrics are best. Always keep comfort in mind when choosing clothing for a cruise. Its pretty safe to say your expectations will be exceeded because Viking always overdelivers. We envy you, and please give us an update of your trip when you return. Laundry services may be arranged through your Suite Attendant or your Butler. We did the Grand European, as well, and it was our favorite because you get to visit so many countries along the Rhine, Main, and Danube. So sorry to hear of your grandmothers passing, Cabell. staterooms, French balcony staterooms and standard cabins. By design Viking River Cruisespamper their passengers in every possible way. We should know! Their design evolved over many years. SIGN UP. We are staying for a while in Rome and Malta before the cruise and in Barcelona after. It serves breakfast, lunch and dinner here. We have cruised that basic route three or four times, but we have always either done the included or optional tours. For optional excursions, I did the cheese factory tour in Kinderdijk because I had been there twice before. . My husband and I will be taking our first Viking Cruise in a week. There is also a small shop on board should you require something urgently. CC Help Jenn Other times you will be ported at a distance that will require taking a taxi or shared ride service back to ship. Powered by - Designed with theHueman theme, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Silversea Expedition Cruises Tips: Watch-Outs And Need-to-Knows, Viking River Cruises Tips, Must-Knows and Watch Outs, Going On 100 Cruises Taught Me 7 CRUCIAL Cruise Tricks, 13 Things I Wish Id Know Before Doing A Disney Cruise, 10 Things European River Cruise Lines Dont Like Talking About, How to Gamble on a cruise to unlock perks How it really works by someone who does it. No worries thkugh--the steam in the shower in our cabin has been more than adequate in getting wrinkles to fall out of clothing. I think it is always best to book your excursions as soon as possible. Indeed, the Viking Age, from A.D. 800-1100, was the age of the sleek, speedy longship. It can also dress up an outfit for evenings. Most Viking Longships are 443 feet long, the perfect length to fit into the locks on many of Europe's rivers. I did the Rhine Getaway Christmas Markets last December, and it was incredible. Both the washer and dryer work well. We always like to take a pair of flip-flops or a similar comfortable sandal for relaxing in the cabin or making those quick trips to the snack and coffee station. So? See the end of the article for a complete example river cruise packing list. Sinks are usually large enough to hand-wash items and most shower stalls include a retractable clothesline. I travelled as a guest of Viking Cruises on a 7-night Danube cruise before making the video and review. I cant believe I stumbled upon this blog. Bluffworks Ascender 5 Pocket Travel Pants, Goodthreads Mens Long-Sleeve Solid Oxford Shirt. Stateroom Amenities Viking River Cruise Common Areas The Lounge and Bar The Sun Deck The Aquavit Terrace The Dining Room The Library Internet Cafe Coffee Station The Viking Onboard Experience Embarkation Meals on a Viking River Cruise Lunch Dinner Guests & Socializing Exercising on a River Cruise Excursions on a Viking River Cruise Loved the cows, loved the cheese-tasting, and loved the tour. You will enjoy Monets garden and the Normandy beaches. Thank you for recommending Viking River cruises when we met on Fathom, Ive enjoyed reading your articles and cant wait to try one! Here's a quick rundown of the current laundry facilities available on each of the major river cruise lines, taken directly from their websites: AmaWaterways: Laundry services are available on board for a fee. Do any of the accomodations allow for 3 persons in a room? I will never forget his greeting of, Happy American Day! on the morning of July 4. Search for 'Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships' and there are lots of hints and tips. I have found the headphones you would typically use with your smartphone are compatible with the audio devices on board. Please keep us updated about your journey, and bon voyage! The ever-present cruise pianistprovided relaxing background music, as well as accompaniment for singing and dancing in the evening. Our agent would have had to ring Viking to find out, so I thought I cut the red tape and ask directly; was unpleasantly brushed off by CARLOS. Grand Circle offers a paid laundry service on all of its vessels. We are beyond excited as this is our first trip to Europe! You maximise the room in your cabin this way and only have to worry about one case while you are travelling. My travel life spans more than three decades and that includes more than 95 cruises. And the rest, as they say, is history. Viking Vali 1-855-338-4546 Website All photos (19) Traveler ( 15) Common Areas ( 3) Suite Cabins ( 1) Itineraries for this ship Itinerary 7 Night Cruise to Europe Departure date Thursday, 04/11/24 Route Budapest, Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Durnstein (Krems), Linz (Salzburg), Passau, Passau View Map Overview About Passengers: 190 | Crew: 53 Have a wonderful time on your cruise, and keep us posted! Disclaimer Vagrants of the World Travel are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Congratulations on your 60th anniversary. We dont want to over do it either way. Its also a place where people will come out if youre going through locks. All Itineraries Current Position Specifications of Viking Rinda Generic Premium Earbuds/Headphones with Stereo Mic & Remote Control for Smartphones. One point though. This is very important because they are the same: the same look, the same feel, the same layout. They acted as naval vessels or boats which helped Vikings to explore new lands which resulted in massive Viking expansion over the years. On Viking's traditional ocean ships, there are 47 suites broken . Always do a final check of all your devices, cameras and electronic equipment to make sure you have all the right cords, batteries and chargers. Pack some long-sleeved sweaters or cardigans as well as short and long-sleeved tops and shirts. They do, however, have lectures, presentations, demonstrations, and/or low-key floor shows daily. We love all things Viking! Most river cruises are between 7 to 15 days. Theres the Explorer Suite at the rear of the ship, and these have a separate lounge, separate bedroom and bathroom. Unfortunately, because I have not yet embarked on this cruise, I cannot offer any excursion recommendations. Thank you for the cruise tips, since I am a photography hobbyist, I noticed your tips for bringing long lens and taking pictures as soon as possible, in case the ship moves during a tour. What kind of luggage is best for a cruise? Its open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is wise to choose your optional excursions early on because those tours sometimes sell out. Members of VantagesPresidents Club (achieved after three Vantage Vacations trips not necessarily river cruises) also receive a 20 laundry credit. Especially when considering some mens shoes. Thanks for your articles on River Cruises! These 7 Things Throw Norwegian Fjords Cruisers Every Time! In saying that, consider carefully what shoes you will pack for a river cruise. Super easy. Too many people forget about sun protection when sightseeing around cities and local attractions. Please keep us posted about your travels, and let us know if you learn anything further about the car rental situation. In the photos it looks as though most folks have on crew neck Ts . Its our very first river cruise and would like to know if Paris & The Heart of Normandy is a good choice as a first river cruise. We are looking forward to our very first cruise the Grand European Cruise- and your blog was very helpful. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases. I know you will love the Grand European experience. Hi Colleen! But pretty much any of the rivers, the bigger rivers, youre likely to be on one of these Longships. Laundry and pressing services areavailable on Avalon Waterways for a fee. We always keep some of these handy wipes in our bag. They can become cumbersome when on the move. . Is the cheese tour combined with the windmills good/awesome? Just wondering if Viking does this? Such services are complimentary for passengers . 4 Things You Need To Know (Including what they don't have!) Howard, thanks for your insights. There are a couple of rivers which are cannot take the full-sized Longship, like the Douro in Portugal, and these have a slightly smaller version. Actually, the Viking Homelands cruise is an ocean cruise, not a river cruise. So, if there are any medical issues or needs, they can connect you with a local clinic hospital or a medical practitioner. One thing we love about Viking River Cruise vessels is the ample storage in the cabins. the Danube and Paris to Prague and we loved them! Just an example of Vikings ongoing TLC. So comfortable, casual wear will make up the majority of your wardrobe. I hope you meet on board and share your adventures with us upon your return. Layering is the best way to combat changeable conditions when travelling even from morning to night or when transiting in airports. Karvi. Since I wrote this piece, I have also done the Viking Basel to Amsterdam Rhine Getaway. document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright 2013 - 2023 | Backroad Planet, Top 11 Viking River Cruise Ship Amenities. My husband and I did Paris and the Heart of Normandy as our first Viking cruise in 2013. Dispensers are numbered. River cruise cabins may not be as spacious as a hotel room or on an ocean-going vessel, so you dont want to clutter it with unnecessary stuff. If you are creating a packing list for a seven day cruise, select five to seven tops to compliment three to four bottoms. Break in your walking shoes before you leave on your cruise, ECCO Womens Crepetray Tie Oxford Walking Shoe, UGG Womens Adley Perforated Fashion Sneaker. See our guide to the best wheeled underseat luggage so you can still travel light and have emergency clothing for a few days. Hi Denise! Thanks for the advice. A travel umbrella works equally as well as a sun parasol. Wanda, this was our first Viking cruise and was so well done, we have done two other Viking river cruises. Hi Nancy! Three machine per laundry room. We are renting a car in Basel and plan to spend 10 days traveling in Germany, Austria and Switzerland prior to returning to the States. Even better, they were there to greet uswhen we returned with warm, moist towels and tasty tidbitssuch as Chef Axels handmade chocolate truffles. The lounge is where you have the bar. Specialty coffees like cappuccino, tea and bottled water are free 24 hours. Image Credit: Joyce Hill, CC BY-SA 3.0 , via Wikimedia Commons. travelmum, January 3, 2018 in Viking Ocean. Depending on the type of excursion, you may want to pack specific clothing such as comfortable, versatile hiking/walking shoesfor optional easy hikes. It will only be something for you to worry about on the cruise. EASY. Socks for the duration (including compression socks for the flight). I highly recommend the Top of Cologne tour, which may be my favorite Viking excursion ever. Suites on Viking cruise ships. Hi, Laura! We have also done a lot of city-walking during free times in the ports. Pair winter shoes opt for lightweight over heavy boots. 1 pair of flip-flops or similar for relaxing in your cabin. . I have not done the Tulips and Windmills cruise, so I cannot recommend excursions for the entire itinerary. By clicking the subscribe button, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms. Right -my count was wrong. I have not yet done a Viking Mississippi cruise, so I have no special tips. I currently have a car lined up to rent at the Basel Airport, but have noticed that prices on the same vehicle are significantly lower at the train station in Basel. Thats hopefully why this will help you understand what you can expect if youre cruising with Viking in Europe. We are considering a river cruise with our son, daughter in law and granddaughter who is middle school age. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. The Sun Deck is a great place to hang out, even if youre in port, and a lot of people go and sit out there have a drink and just soak in the whole atmosphere of the port. Lots of questions, but very excited to be a first time river cruiser! Hi Vicki! There is no need to bring any fancy jewellery. I am taking my first river cruise and its aboard one of Vikings long ships. And the ironing board is difficult to use for a left-handed person like me. You will have an opportunity to select your included and optional excursions several weeks prior to your trip on the My Viking Journey website.