The lower Hope side of the trail has some roots. There is NO running water, electricity, or trash service in the cabin. The trail basically stays in the valley with great views of the surrounding Kenai Mountains. The cabins were awesome! A series of Forest Service cabins make this one of the most popular hiking destinations in Southcentral Alaska. Saw a few people on bikes. Fox Creek Cabin can be found along Resurrection Pass Trail in Hope. also many slushy or slippery snow crossing in the pass. This Event Took Place Sat. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 19 h 5 min to complete. The Seven Sleepers Of Ephesus. So please! Only saw a black bear pretty far off however plenty of brown bear and black bear scat throughout the trail. but also i kept stepping into water lol. There is a new shuttle service for transportation to and from the trailheads: Girdwood Shuttle, Tours and Transportation. For more current travel conditions call the park rangers. Begins at Cooper Land Trailhead, traverses 38mi to Hope trailhead where there's an aid station where you can pick up your own supplies or get supplies from aid station. The Resurrection Pass Trail covers 38 miles between the towns of Hope and Cooper Landing, with two side routes leading off to trailheads along the Seward Highway. HOME BLOG ABOUT WORK WITH ME PRIVACY POLICY RETURN POLICY DISCLOSURE. Discover this 72.3-km point-to-point trail near Hope, Alaska. Photo by Mary Green. So. The cabins were great! Fat bikes along Resurrection Creek. She retired in October 2021. Open to skiing and snowmobiling, the trail is a level path, gradual grade, some steep grade with switchbacks. a lot of burned forest and even more of forest eaten by parazites the pass is the easiest in the world. It was her 10th win in the 100-mile race and her 12th total victory -- she is also a two-time winner of the Resurrection Pass 50-mile run. Elevation Low Point: Not Available The best times to visit this trail are June through September. A few patches of snow at the top, but easy to walk across. This was my first solo backpacking trip ever. Resurrection Pass Trail N, Hope: Consulta 7 opiniones, artculos, y fotos de Resurrection Pass Trail N, clasificada en Tripadvisor en el N.8 de 8 atracciones en Hope. Aid stations are at miles 42 and 70, with drop bags allowed at both. It just doesn't feel the same to be indoors in a cabin. or death. Which is why you prepare.. I know most people go the other way but I really enjoyed going Southbound. If you start from Cooper Landing you'll get most of your climbing out of the way early and you'll get to enjoy a nice downhill into Hope. The cabin costs $75 per night during peak season (May 1-Sep 30). I was able to scare it off with some yelling but my tent was completely destroyed, so I turned around and exited the trail. It was beautiful w the fall colors. The hikers told the coordinators they could hear the helicopter when it was getting close, which let the crew know they were in the right spot. From Resurrection Pass Trail South, it's 27.5 miles one-way. The Resurrection is an alpine hike for about 7 miles, between the top of the Swan Lake grade and a point a short distance above American Creek. I started in Cooper Landing. This weekend though it didn't even really feel like I was going uphill. Helpful NRT contacts. Devils Pass Cabin is in a treeless zone and is equipped with a fuel-oil stove, cabin occupants are responsible for bringing their own fuel. Hes the public affairs director for the 176th Wing of the Alaska Air National Guardsmen that conducted the rescue. Bedard said the hikers had the tools they needed to communicate with the rescuers, which was crucial. But definitely a beautiful journey. The north trailhead is located four miles up Resurrection Creek Road from Mile 15 of the Hope Highway. I've been backpacking up in Alaska for over 5 years and fortunately have experienced few mishaps. Stayed in Devils Pass Cabin 2nd night and Fox Creek Cabin 3rd night. Resurrection Pass Trail North to Fox Creek Cabin 11.5 miles one-way. Such beautiful fall colors. A local favorite, Resurrection Pass Trail offers day or multi-day backcountry hiking or biking adventures. For further info about bears, go here. A splitting maul and saw are available on-site. In this video, we join a hiker as he sets out for a five day journey along this amazing route, giving us an impressive look of what can be found there. The trail is now a National Recreation Trail maintained by the US Forest Service. i went north bound. On my first morning at Juneau Falls camp, I was woken up by a black bear swatting my tent! I hiked this weekend to the Fox Creek Cabin from the Hope Trailhead (11.5 miles one way). Third place went to Inokuma, who topped the women in 8:04:21, the fifth fastest womens time in history. This 100 mile (160 km) long backpacking route wanders through some truly spectacular wilderness inside the Kenai Fjords National Park. A dozen runners finished the 100-mile race and 36 finished the 50-miler. The basins three large, forested lakes, all with fair fishing, are Trout Lake (7.5 miles from the south trailhead), Juneau Lake (9.5 miles), and Swan Lake (13 miles). A little too post-apocalyptic for my taste. choose to undertake. The Alaska State Troopers also rescued a man from Resurrection Pass Trail in 2018 when heencountered too much snow to continue. The Resurrection Pass Trail runs 38.4 miles between Hope and Cooper Landing and is a classic mountain bike trail of Alaska! The center then called Guardsmen for assistance, and they launched two helicopters a Combat King II and a Pave Hawk from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson. Enter the email address you signed up with and we'll email you a reset link. Make reservations early (www.reserveusa.com or 877-444-6777) if you want to do the hike without pitching a tent. After a few miles of this, I started drifting into my own little world and started daydreaming. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. Your email address will not be published. - see below). Alaska Division of Tourism, P.O. The southern part of the trail wanders through the lake basin of Juneau Creek. The trail is open to hiking, biking, horseback riding, and various winter activities. I had wet shoes for 2/3 of the trip. Seriously, this has to be one of the most white trash things I've ever seen on a trail and I hope one day the perpetrators fall face first into a pile of manure. Finally, the world's greatest writer receives the scholarly Delphi treatment. For biking, Going from Hope to Cooper Landing is definitely preferable. Lots of dead spruce in the campsite and in most of the campsites along the trail. Near Sterling, Alaska. Overgrown in many areas. This allows snow machines to help pack down a good trail for hiking or fat-biking to the cabin. The last mile to the trailhead is not plowed in winter. The Hope community has a fire ban in place, which considering how dry the ground was up there its probably better to forgo the campfires and stick with a stove. The walk across the pass was incredible! Get the latest trail guides, travel tips, and more! The helicopter transported them to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage. He was well off the course record of 6:21:48, set in 2015 by Matias Saari, who placed second this year in 7:18:14. Results 50 Miles Map Trail Managers: please use the official NRT update form to update your trail for any of the following changes: >> Download the official NRT update form. The Booklet is 16 pages long and sells for $1.95 for single copies. P.S. Resurrection Pass Trail was a route used by early gold miners to access mining claims along Turnagain Arm. Make sure to purify your water before using it. Devil's Pass Cabin is a rustic cabin in a remote area of south-central Alaska along the popular Resurrection Pass Trail. We would like to do the Devils Creek Trail to Devils Pass next. The trailhead parking is 4 miles in on this road. Then the 12 mi of gravel road to the finish. document.getElementById( "ak_js_3" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2020 TRAMPOSAURUS TREKS All rights reserved - Site developed by: BrightDock LLC. They have wood fired stoves, bunks, and a boat to use if a lake is nearby. [Because of a high volume of comments requiring moderation, we are temporarily disabling comments on many of our articles so editors can focus on the coronavirus crisis and other coverage. Make sure you spend some time on the front end of logistics if you plan to through hike the entire thing- the day we summited Resurrection Pass, temps dipped into the 30s and rain was constant, definitely conditions that could cause issues without the right gear. Elevation Gain (cumulative): Not Available It takes about 4 hours to reach the cabin this way, which makes it the ideal route for an overnight trip. The third day was only 7 miles and stayed at Caribou Cabin. We didn't pass many people the whole day. From Anchorage, head south on the Seward Highway to Hope. This 100 mile (160 km) long backpacking route wanders through some truly spectacular wilderness inside the Kenai Fjords National Park. After you cross the bridge, the views really open up as you head into the wide pass. The 50-mile race started Saturday morning in Cooper Landing. 00:00 Intro1:27 Day 1 - Hope to Resurrection Pass Trail (17 miles) https://alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-may-23-7-23-pm-60495b44:36 Day 2 - Hiking to Swan Lake Cabin (17 miles) https://alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-may-23-7-23-pm-60495b49:36 Day 3 - Cooper Landing to Lower Russian Lake (27 miles) https://alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-may-25-7-15-pm-71d723212:47 Day 4 - Lower Russian Lake to Upper Russian Lake (13 miles) https://alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-may-26-1-22-pm-6d1e48113:37 Day 4 - Upper Russian Lake to Wilderness Camp (12 miles) https://alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-may-26-7-23-pm-a0a080f15:35 Day 5 - Hiking out to Seward (21 miles) https://alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-may-27-1-13-pm-aaebdb818:49 Kenai Fjords National Park19:27 Jon's YouTube Channel https://youtube.com/c/fly8ma19:44 Instagram https://instagram.com/kraigadams Always near the cabins and in between here and there. Hiked in 1974 and cross country skiied in 1975. Once it opens up into Devils Pass, its really amazing. Photo by Irene Lindquist. Resurrection Pass Trail South Area Status: Open Closed to snowmachines winter 2022-2023 season Southern segment of a 39 mile multi-use trail between the Cooper Landing and Hope areas. Did this trail 10-14AUG21. A local favorite, Resurrection Pass Trail offers day or multi-day backcountry hiking or biking adventures. Juneau Lake on Resurrection Pass Trail South. Resurrection Pass Trail. All rights reserved. You're mostly under canopy and there are few views along the way. Do you have any questions about the this public use cabin in Cooper Landing? Need help planning a trip? Hunters use the trail, especially from the north, for moose and caribou hunting in the fall. Sign up for the monthly newsletter, with the latest travel news and special offers, and receive bonus gifts to get you started. Search by Trail Type, NRT Home Page Saw a few bald eagles, golden eagle, marmots, and deer. Backpacked in Fri night 12.5 mi to Fox Creek Cabin. The reason why I haven't done the whole thing is because I haven't found someone who would want to do it with me so we can drop a car off at the other end. McDonough, a 59-year-old from Anchorage, placed second in 25:16:32 to take the womens title. You can also access it from Devils Pass. The snowmobiling trailhead for Resurrection Pass Trail System is located 85 miles from Anchorage, just 4.5 miles south of Hope on Resurrection Creek Road, and provides access to the 72 miles system. Obviously quite muddy in areas due to all the rain weve been getting, was to be expected. The self-supported races are held on a trail originally used by gold miners. Refer to USGS map Seward C8. Save Page Now. The first 4 miles as well are switchbacks to get up into the valley and then follows along a deep gorge. The trail is well-maintained and usually highly trafficked during the summer months. There we had to ford the river and make our way over/around a very large wall of snow. Amazing hike! Last weekend, I came in from the Sterling Highway side (first time) and stayed at the Juneau Lake Cabin. Drive 16 miles to the outskirts of Hope and turn left (south) onto Palmer Creek Road. Every mile was hiding something new and beautiful for us. The trail is now a National Recreation Trail maintained by the USFS. Also please support the USFS to get more pit toilets in. The trail can be run in either direction, but we decided to go from North to South, which pit us against a gradual, and seemingly never-ending, 18.8-mile climb to the trail's 2,600-foot summit. The Resurrection Pass trail runs north to south from Hope to the Seward River on the Kenai Peninsula, only about an hour-and-a-half from Anchorage. For information on renting and reserving the huts go to Recreation.gov. Tracked hike whole time, except next dah I accidentally hit wrong button on app and turned off tracking 5 miles early lol..ooops. Resurrection Pass Description First off, I haven't done the whole trail. Designations by Year The first helicopter flew ahead to check on the weather below amid low visibility. Very few flies and mosquitos. From Resurrection Pass Trail South, its 27.5 miles one-way. It is thus told by Jacques de Voragine, in his "Legenda Aurea:" Upcoming Trail Runs within 50 miles of Anchorage, AK. Went in 9 miles, camped then headed back the next day. Hiked as a three day backpack north to south, heading over summit creek trail just after Resurrection Pass. While thats relatively normal this time of year, Spargo said the water level might be up a little higher this year because of heavy snow this winter. Hiked out today in about 4 hours. Mona Spargo with the National Forest Service, which manages the trail, said Thursday the Resurrection Pass Trail still has about 5 miles of snow cover. All of a sudden the snow just stops and then its clear trails all the way to Hope. There are numerous campsites along . Make sure to print out your Alaska State Parks parking permit and fill in your registration number to avoid getting a ticket. Would recommend to anyone. Along the way, linger to fish in Trout, Juneau, and Swan Lakes, climb any of the ridges . Completed the trail from north to south over four days, three nights. " andrew resseguie OpenMapTiles OSM 38.5 Miles Point to Point 2,621' High 401' Low 2,766' Up 2,764' Down 3% Avg Grade (2) 23% Enjoyed the hope side on the bike. Started in Hope Tuesday June 28, Beautiful day And finished in Cooper Landing on July 1.. I imagine that if it was dry and sunny it would be phenomenal!! Access From the Resurrection Pass South Trailhead, at milepost 53.2 on Sterling Highway, hike 9 miles to the cabin or fly by float lane (10 minutes from Cooper Landing). Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec. Month: Month . (Version 6) * concise introductions to the plays and other works * images of how . No bears but a bit of scat along the way. Resurrection Pass is a 39 mile trail that extends from Hope to Cooper Landing with a high point of 2600 at the pass. Resurrection Pass is popular for both hiking and mountain biking, be prepared for bike encounters. Photo by Irene Lindquist. The trail covers stunning scenery climbing from forest floor into alpine tundra, with numerous alpine creeks, cabins, and backcountry lakes along the route. All rights reserved. It took 4.5 hours. Only one snow crossing and one water crossing and neither were challenging. Check out this 72.3-km point-to-point trail near Hope, Alaska. Resurrection Pass is a popular trail for hikers and bikers in the summer. Slipper mud in places that made it a little slower. Great trail. Here is a guide that will A thorough list of haunted trails from around the world that I have discovered through the years. The trail is now a National Recreation Trail maintained by the US Forest Service. Many. I have gone in about 7 miles for a winter hike to Caribou Cabin, but the little I've seen makes me want to do the whole thing. Was absolutely amazing. I turned a corner and there stood a black bear drinking at a stream. The porch faces south for nice warmth (it was in the 40's). I'm glad I got to finally do this hike again without a lot of snow (mostly). Chugach National Forest P.O. Berries ripen in this area from mid-July through mid-September. Did the trail end to end in 9 hours. Found a blue mens puffy a couple miles from trailhead and had seen or heard no one the entire trip so we left it at trailhead. There are no road crossings, and you will be on your own, getting water as needed from the streams (most people treat the stream water - lots of wildlife in the area). The cabin is small and sleeps six people on two wooden sleeping platforms. ONE of the most picturesque myths of ancient days is that which forms the subject of this article. The Resurrection Pass 50 will be in August. Hiked as a three day backpack north to south, heading over summit creek trail just after Resurrection Pass. I don't know if it was typical but when we stayed at the Caribou Creek Cabin, there was none. Warning: Traveling in Alaska's backcountry can be extremely dangerous and can lead to serious injury Copyright 2022 UltraSignup. However, the Juneau Lake one is really nice, one of the nicest on the Pass I've seen so far. Return trip from Caribou Creek Cabin (1/7 -1/9 trip). Hiked in 3 days South to North staying at campsites. The trail is well-maintained and usually highly trafficked during the summer months. From Resurrection Pass Trail North, its 11.5 miles one-way. but you only need 500ml at most. A local favorite, Resurrection Pass Trail offers day or multi-day backcountry hiking or biking adventures. The dispatch said the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center was contacted around four hours later, at 3:18 a.m. Wednesday. Just before the Juneau Lake Cabin, I passed the Romig Cabin (on the south tip of the lake). Conditions were good. Saturday. 99631 (907) 271-2773. I would say you are in the trees for a large majority of this trail but once youre in Res Pass its pretty to see all of the rolling tundra. by Mike Oppenheimer is our newest Lighthouse Trails Booklet . We went Cooper Landing to Hope. Most amazing hiking adventure ever. Search by Activity This trail is great for backpacking, birding, and camping, and it's unlikely you'll encounter many other people while exploring. and your shoes will get wet in the slushy parts. If youre prepared and you do get over your head, if you have survival equipment, if youve let a loved one know where youre going, if you have two-way satellite communications, either via text or via voice then that will provide for a better outcome, Bedard said. Did not finish Samuel Jordan, Matt Blood, Brian Burns,Donald Rhinehart. The trail is in great shape, beautiful views after mile 16 or so, and the summit creek trail felt like having a beautiful high altitude meadow all to ourselves. Trail was wonderful! We and our partners share information on your use of this website to help improve your experience. Resurrection Pass at 2,600 feet in elevation. The Devils Creek Trail intersects the Resurrection Pass Trail at the cabin, leading 10 miles east to the Seward Highway and connecting with the Resurrection to create two other trail options: either a 27-mile hike between the Devils Creek and Cooper Landing trails, or a 31-miler between Devils Creek and Hope. Kraig is an outdoor and adventure travel writer based in Nashville, TN. Resurrection Pass Trail Intermediate/Difficult 4.7 (6) Areas AK Kenai Peninsula Cooper Landing Plan with onX Backcountry " A ~40 mile singletrack trail from Cooper Landing to Hope leading through scenic backcountry. This public-use cabin sits next to a small creek in the Kenai Mountains, Alaska. Please dont try and do this in under 5 days. Race dates: July 28-29, 2023 Res Pass 100 miler Starts: Friday, July 28 at 3PM Location: Resurrection Pass Trailhead in Hope Res Pass 50 miler Resurrection Pass Trail has 2 stars. The 100-mile race, which dates back to 2003, began Friday afternoon and followed the Resurrection Pass Trail from Hope to Cooper Landing and back, with a brief detour to the Devils Pass trail to pick up a few extra miles on the return trip. Most of the trail to the Fox Creek Cabin was away from the creek and somewhat boring (with one major exception! Resurrection Pass Trail, Kenai, Alaska The 38-mile Resurrection Pass Trail through the Kenai Mountains is by far the most popular multi-day backcountry route in Southcentral Alaska. Wow. There are a total of eight public use cabins along this trail if you want to add another night or two to your trip. Hope to Cooper Landing - September 5th-9th. Elevation gain is only about 3000 feet in 15 miles (N to S) then a gradual descent. Fox Creek is near the cabin which you can use as a water source. Completed the hike from Sept 15-19th. It was pretty disgusting to see pile after pile right in front of the cabin, especially since there was a sign that tells you where to corral them in the back. Now you can truly own all of Shakespeare's works and a wealth of BONUS material on your eReader, and all in ONE well-organised file. The best way to hike this in the winter is to buy a cheap plastic sled and carry your stuff on it. I have done plenty of hard rated trails on here that were less challenging than this trail. Required fields are marked *. All content Alaska Hike Search, unless otherwise noted. In 2005, I moved to Quito, Ecuador with $35 in my pocket and a small handful of online clients. One snow patch in Devils Pass. The first part, to Caribou Creek Cabin, was mostly small ups and downs, where sometimes you're right by Resurrection Creek (pretty wide and fierce for a creek), and sometimes 500-1000 feet above. Its popularity is due to the significant amount of diverse opportunities available, including hiking, cross country skiing, snowmobiling, camping, scenic vistas, waterfalls, wildlife viewing, and access to lakes and streams. There was only one spot in the pass that still had snow over the trail and it only lasted about 40 feet. Hope and Cooper Landing are both about 300 feet above sea level, and the trails high point -- the 2,600-foot Resurrection Pass -- comes about midway between those towns. The cabin can be accessed by hiking, biking, skiing, horseback or snowmobiling. Peaceful and quite, didnt see many people at all. Strive to increase the variety of your speech as the business man labors to augment his wealth. This hike was nearly flat the whole way, with Resurrection Trail Pass being the highlight. A 39 mile trail that climbs from 500 to 2600 feet, visitors can reserve one or all of eight public use cabins along the route. document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); A series of short, informational videos to lure travelers to the streets of Budapest and to explore the amazing city Art Nouveau defines Budapest in much the same way as skyscrapers define New York. Overall really awesome trail did it north to south and impressed with how maintained it was just overgrown in a few spots. this trail is more like 38-39 miles and not 44 miles. The Resurrection Pass Trail was part of a route used by early gold miners to get from Resurrection Bay near Seward, AK, to .