I quickly found that dating was bringing issues of race to the forefront in my life, in a way few other moments had, he writes. I try to generate that because it's the natural way I am". Two hundred was unheardof. Print. At twenty-two, Ayers began his prolific recording career as a sideman for jazz saxophonist Curtis Amy. I returned his smile and walked toward him. Then I began my important but casual interview. Nabil Ayers takes on all of the above and more in his affecting new memoir My Life in the Sunshine: Searching for My Father and Discovering My Family the title of which riffs on Roy Ayers 1976 hit Everybody Loves the Sunshine out June 7 via Penguin Random House. I took notes as he explained that hed grown up in LA but that his parents were from Oklahoma. I hardly know my father, the jazz vibraphonist Roy Ayers; we've met only a few times. Roy Ayers was born on September 10, 1940 in Los Angeles, California, USA. Id hoped to get a picture with him, but I wasnt sure why Id brought it into the hotel with me. During high school, Ayers sang in the church choir[9] and fronted a band named The Latin Lyrics, in which he played steel guitar and piano. Roy Ayers hosts the fictitious radio station "Fusion FM" in Grand Theft Auto IV (2008). Hed pass through and Id hear about him coming again in another year or two. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. But I dont remember what I asked him, only that our call was short and it ended with a plan for me to pick him up at his hotel for lunch on the day of the show. As a rite of passage when graduating high school, Ayers mother suggested that he might want to change his surname from Braufman to something easier to spell and pronounce. THE DIGITAL REPOSITORY FOR THE BLACK EXPERIENCE. [4] He is best known for his compositions "Everybody Loves the Sunshine", "Searchin", and "Running Away". Jazz composer and vibraphonist Roy Ayers was born on September 10, 1940 in Los Angeles, California to Ruby Ayers and Roy Ayers, Sr. Ayers mother, a schoolteacher and piano instructor, began teaching him music when he was only a toddler. The album was recorded at the Sigma Sound Studios, New York. Roy Ayers is recovering with his family after a health scare lead to wild rumors he was rushed to a hospital ahead of a gig in Portland, Oregon this weekend. I was elated. Ayers Jewish identity came from family rather than religious institutions. The most soulful man alive is recovering with his family after a detour to the hospital before boarding a flight to a Portland music festival. Author Nabil Ayers, left; his father, jazz musician Roy Ayers, right Courtesy of Nabil Ayers (author photo and book cover); and Scott Dudelson/Getty Images (Roy Ayers photo). Fifteen minutes later I received a reply from the agent saying hed forwarded my email to my father. His new memoir. Roy Ayers was interviewed by The HistoryMakers on September 19, 2016. I handed the camera off to a tourist, who snapped two quick shots of men who both loved to have their picture taken. He spoke with the warmth and relaxed pace of a man in his sixties. My mother always encouraged me to network to go on informational interviews and meet with people, even if I wasnt after something specific. He continued releasing yearly albums through the 1990s. "It was such a proud, yet strange moment.". Hello? It was the same voice that Id listened to a few times that morning. During the late 1990s and well into the 21st century, Ayers toured Europe and Asia relentlessly, recorded sporadically, and oversaw compilation and archival releases including BBE's two-volume Virgin Ubiquity series of unissued recordings. His father Roy Ayers is a famous Jazz musician. in a locker room, on the playing field, or on the court inspiring winners. Even as he sat at a lunch table, his arms waved, his head bobbed, and his face squeezed for emphasis. "Roy Ayers: A Musical Perfectionist." The single was released in July 1988 by Arista Records. Later that year, BBE released the digital single "Reaching for the Highest Pleasure." "COLLECTION OF UNRELEASED RECORDINGS FROM AYERS PROVES HIS VIBE MASTERY." Ubiquity released a number of records on Polydor Records, including hits like We Live in Brooklyn and Everybody Loves the Sunshine. As the decade closed, Ayers went solo with songs like Lets Do It. I never thought about seeing who he was and what hed become, or checking if I could still feel his magnetism from the back row. I live in Seattle and I see that Roy is coming to play here in September. He picked up quickly. No Author. The story reminded me fondly of my own mother and her support of me. Singer Erykah Badu has dubbed Ayers the Godfather of Neo-Soul. Conley Jumper, Always Remember Clint Harris October 27, 1924 August 3, 2018. For the next two days I thought about it constantly. (The Artform Studio) By Randall Roberts. The heavy makeup they wore obscured their features, enabling him to imagine new possibilities. Nabil Ayers was born of that union and grew up with a strong sense of self, despite his fathers absence. Oh yeah, he said casually. Thats cool. His eyebrows raised as he continued to examine the CD. Ayers attended Thomas Jefferson High School, where many of his classmates also went on to become famous jazz and R&B artists. He overheard her talking to a relative on the phone who asked if Nabil was Jewish. Print. For the first time, Id put myself out there. The book title is from the opening lyrics of Ayers fathers signature hit, Everybody Loves the Sunshine, which was moderately successful when it came out in 1976. Unlike me, she kept tabs on my father. Friends introduced him to women, most of whom were white. Racial intersectionality and polarization in America are more impacting than ever. Each issue reaches a global audience dedicated to preserving the history and health of purpose bred dogs. In the wide, covered dropoff loop of Roys hotel, parents dragged children and luggage through automatic sliding glass doors. Id never checked the date to see if Id be in town or not. Carl D. Ayers, 92, passed away Thursday, April, 16, 2009 in a St. Joseph, Missouri Hospital. So I typed what I felt was a very simple email that my father would understand if he saw it: Hi. He told me the specifics Id never known about my own racial background: that his dad was Black and mom was halfCherokee. Her Christian faith is exhibited in her belief that, Time is the most important gift you can share to make someone happy or to make a difference. These included Mystic Voyage, Everybody Loves the Sunshine, Vibrations, and Lifeline, which were released from 1975 through 1977. Writing about each time he met his father precipitated the publication of a 320-page book. Every important paternal moment was with him, he said. I was anxious. Roy Ayers (born September 10, 1940) is an American funk, soul, and jazz composer, vibraphone player, and music producer. Roy Ayers, Soundtrack: Ant-Man. Get notified about exclusive offers every week! So, with my therapists encouragement and no goal in mind, I set out to schedule an informational interview with my own father, whom I hadnt seen in over two decades, since I was eleven years old. I was thirtyfour. There was no risk in not seeing my father. But now, this new pull existed. In 2020, he teamed with Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Adrian Younge for Roy Ayers JID002, the second volume in the duo's Jazz Is Dead series. The Globe and Mail January 1, 1997: C.3. This song was a collaboration of sorts, between Roy Ayers and Fela Anikulapo Kuti.BLACK FAMILY first appeared on the Roy Ayers album called LOTS OF LOVE in 1. September 6.. He smiled when he described how supportive his mother was. An earlier version from 1977 had been championed by Gilles Peterson and was included on the first of BBE's two Virgin Ubiquity (Unreleased Recordings 1976-1981) volumes in 2003. Roy Ayers is recovering with family after being rushed to a hospital in Portland. I could make plans to travel to Portland, LA, or New York on that date and tell anyone who asked that Id be out of town. We don't have much information about He's past relationship and any previous engaged. When his mother attended the University of Massachusetts, they lived. How can I choose just one? Its unknown why exactly the musician, who was ischeduled to play Portlands Sould Out Music Festival Saturday night, was taken to the hospital. His light mustache and bejeweled silver necklace work together like a matching set. Showsight may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. Nabil, how you doing? His voice was welcoming. Roy was a very physical, animated conversationalist. Ayers first played steel guitar and piano and did not study the vibraphone until meeting vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson at age seventeen. Ayers began his career as a post-bop jazz artist, releasing several albums with Atlantic Records, before his tenure at Polydor Records beginning in the 1970s, during which he helped pioneer jazz-funk. familiar part of the short list of facts about Roy that my mother had passed down. When the day came and I made the final turn toward my fathers hotel, I became fully aware of my lack of nervousness. His mother and uncle were drawn to the Bahai faith which emphasized peace and equality. He is a composer and actor, known for Ant-Man (2015), Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) and Summer of Sam (1999). The last LP in this run featured "Running Away," a Top 20 hit on the R&B and disco charts. Print. Bernie Sanders' New Book It's OK to Be Angry About Capitalism Tops Charts on First Day Print. Once my mother got home, she changed my middle name to Ahmal after an opera she saw, Ayers said. 2023 www.tennessean.com. But he is also the son of famous jazz musician Roy Ayers and "My Life in the Sunshine" is subtitled "Searching for My Father and Discovering My Family." The book centers around his painful. "Black Family" is, in part, a tribute to Fela . Every toy-breed lover agrees: TNT Magazine is THE PLACE for the Toy dogs. For the U.S. Representative from Montana, see. Ayers started recording as a bebop sideman in 1962 and rose to prominence when he dropped out of City College[11] and joined jazz flautist Herbie Mann in 1966. I wanted to pick another name I had a connection to. I said this quite tentatively, awaiting Roys response. Elijah Watson serves as Okayplayer's News & Culture Editor. Do You Believe Your Dog Is Entitled to Win ? Roy Ayers is recovering with his family after a health scare lead to wild rumors he was rushed to a hospital ahead of a gig in Portland, Oregon this weekend. . My mother always mentioned that Roy had some Native American blood, but Id spent thirtyfour years telling people I was halfBlack and halfwhite. Usually when I heard this news, Id never felt an urge to find out where or when my father was playing. While writing hasnt replaced music in Ayers life, writing about race and music for The New York Times, NPR, Pitchfork, Rolling Stone and GQ is my new artistic thing. As he tours with his memoir which has received praise from Oprah and Black Jewish actor Daveed Diggs he continues to expand his sense of self and family on both sides. Allegro.pl - Rado zakupw i bezpieczestwo dziki Allegro Protect! My uncle is my father figure. I took a final deep breath, like I would have before a job interview or before walking onstage. Send us a tip using our anonymous form. In late 1979, Ayers scored his only top ten single on Billboard's Hot Disco/Dance chart with "Don't Stop The Feeling", which was also the leadoff single from his 1980 album No Stranger to Love, whose title track was sampled in Jill Scott's 2001 song "Watching Me" from her debut album Who Is Jill Scott? Then, at age 5, he discovered the hard rock band Kiss. "I grew up in places where being biracial wasn't weird and these scenarios were almost, like, incubated," says Ayers jokingly about his childhood spent in New York City, Amherst and Cambridge, Massachusetts. At five years old, Ayers was given his first set of vibraphone mallets by bandleader Lionel Hampton. The moment I pressed send, thirtyfour years of not caring about my father came to a close. And true to the name of the album featuring it, the song is everywhere. "Warm Vibes Flow in the Sunshine of Roy Ayers." Roy Ayers UbiquityEverybody Loves The Sunshine A Verve Label Group Release; 197. [7] and also collaborated with Rick James for an album and is quoted to have been a very close friend of his.[19]. Selected discography. His new memoir, My Life in the Sunshine: Searching for My Father and Discovering My Family, explores his unconventional but richly diverse childhood, his own rise in the music industry and the search to connect with his father, which led to discovering paternal Black half-siblings and an enslaved ancestor. Print. Print. Interview with Owner Handler Dawn Johnson, Interview with Owner Handler Keira Nguyen, What Ive Learned about Habits from Being a Dog Show Judge. Print. Due to a medical emergency that occurred today April 20, Roy Ayers will not be cleared by doctors in time to perform at tonights concert. Tiny Desk . "I've grabbed the door handle at [Electric Lady Studios] to relive moments that my father had," says Ayers. When, Without Wayne Shorters Weather Report, Jazz Rap Wouldnt Be What It Is, Fans Are Overjoyed to See De La Soul Albums on DSPs, 9 New Hip-Hop & R&B Albums You Should Be Listening To (Week of March 3), Larry June & The Alchemist Announce Joint Album The Great Escape. I coowned a small chain of record stores and ran my own small record label. In 1963, Ayers released his first album, West Coast Vibes, and went on to record with the Jack Wilson Quartet, Chico Hamilton, and the Gerald Wilson Orchestra in the 1960s, before joining up with jazz flutist Herbie Mann at The Lighthouse club in Hermosa Beach, California. Jazz Composer. Nabil Ayers Looks Back on His First Sit-Down With His Jazz-Legend Father, My Life in the Sunshine: Searching for My Father and Discovering My Family, SST Records Producer Glen Spot Lockett Dead at 72, Glastonbury Co-Organizer Promises Female Headliners in 2024 After All-Male Top Billing This Year, There Were Sidemen. He asked me about living in Seattle and playing music, and I was surprised that he remembered anything about me. His handshake carried a lot of strength and energy. Passing the Torch: Can the Next Generation Be Even Greater? Los Angeles-based artist Roy Ayers is a jazz fusion composer and vibraphone player who is most famous for pioneering funk jazz in the early 1970s. The following year he appeared on the Red Hot Organization's compilation album Stolen Moments: Red Hot + Cool. There was so much that I wanted to know about his life: His other kids. I felt very cool, and proud, like I belonged to something interesting as a kid.. You might have come across his sturdy, hard-hitting drumming in Seattle bands like the Long Winters and the Lemons. The Commercial Appeal Jan. 1, 2004: G30. His playing signature has always been rooted in hard bop; it's crisp, lyrical, and rhythmically resilient. And I had it too. But there wasnt enough time to move the conversation there. While some kids asked where he was from, whether he was adopted, and wanted to touch his Afro, Ayers said his sense of identity was intact from having not been the weird kid for the first 10 years of my life. He recalls a synagogue and JCC in Salt Lake City and feeling a connection with some of the Jewish students in his school. Linda has been on board since the inception of ShowSight, Your email address will not be published. Mystic Voyage is a studio album by Roy Ayers Ubiquity. [18], In 1992, Ayers released two albums, Drive and Wake Up, for the hip-hop label Ichiban Records. [20], He has also worked in collaborations with soul songstress Erykah Badu and other artists on his 2004 album Mahogany Vibes.[21]. Virgin Ubiquity (Unreleased Recordings 1976-1981). Roy would likely have been exposed to music as it not only emanated from the many nightclubs and bars in the area, but also poured out of many of the homes where the musicians who kept the scene alive lived in and around Central. In 1970, Ayers moved to Manhattan and formed Roy Ayers Ubiquity, marking his move into jazz fusion. But it felt okay to not have a specific goal in mind. All Rights reserved. Everything to me, from music to writing, is based around math and rhythm," says Ayers, who is also a journalist, before his Feb. 22, conversation at Grimey's Records in East Nashville with 2022 American Music Award Album of the Year winner Allison Russell. White, Tony. And that absolutely includes the three generations of Jewish ancestors who are a huge part of that.. I saw so much of myself in him, especially his natural, unavoidable smile and gentle chuckles even throughout the serious moments. My mother Louise knows Roy from the Seventies in New York City. In 1980, Ayers began collaborating with Nigerian musician Fela Kuti and formed Uno Melodic Records. (Interestingly, long before he met Braufman, a young Roy Ayers played with Herbie Mann, who hailed from similar ancestry. In 1993, Ayers appeared on Gang Starr rapper Gurus Jazzmatazz, Vol. Filled with award-winning editorial focused on news and insights from the dog show community, top breeders, handlers, AKC Judges, and more! Born 10 September 1940 (age 82) Born In Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, United States Roy Ayers (September 10, 1940) is an American funk, soul, and jazz composer and vibraphone player. Roy Ayers (born September 10, 1940) is an American funk, soul, and jazz composer and vibraphone player. The way he felt it, with so much selfassurance. Bye.. Music industry veteran Nabil Ayers, who is currently the U.S. general manager of 4AD, has announced a June 7 release date for his memoir, "My Life in the Sunshine: Searching for My Father and. She partnered in commercial acquisitions in Washington, D.C. on a 250 million dollar level. He was born January 14, 1917 in Fordland, Missouri, the son of John and Fannie Jo Ayers. Kup teraz na Allegro.pl za - Roy Ayers - Ubiquity (CD)50 (13366172517). Mentoring athletes from professional to high school levels has been a huge passion and blessing in Linda's life. Our matching bright smiles and our interchangeable eyes dont compensate for our similarly receding hairlines. That is via his work as the president of the record label Beggars Group US, plus other imprints The Control Group/Valley of Search. A hand I didnt think Id ever touched. [24], Ayers is a recipient of the Congress of Racial Equality Lifetime Achievement Award.[25]. Their names sounded. Roy Ayers describes his mother's family background, Roy Ayers describes his father's family background, Roy Ayers recalls the South Central neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, Roy Ayers describes the sights, sounds and smells of his childhood, Roy Ayers talks about the Civil Rights Movement in Los Angeles, California, Roy Ayers recalls his early interest in music, Roy Ayers remembers Thomas Jefferson High School in Los Angeles, California, Roy Ayers remembers his early musical work with Curtis Amy, Roy Ayers talks about recording his first solo album, 'West Coast Vibes', Roy Ayers describes his musical influences, Roy Ayers remembers performing with Chico Hamilton, Roy Ayers describes his collaboration with Gerald Wilson, Roy Ayers recalls touring with Herbie Mann, Roy Ayers recalls his musical collaboration with Sadao Watanabe, Roy Ayers remembers the release of 'Virgo Vibes', Roy Ayers describes the 'Stoned Soul Picnic' and 'Daddy Bug' albums, Roy Ayers recalls the formation of Roy Ayers Ubiquity, Roy Ayers talks about the hit song 'We Live in Brooklyn Baby', Roy Ayers remembers signing a contract with Polydor Records, Roy Ayers recalls composing the soundtrack to 'Coffy', Roy Ayers describes talks about the popularity of his music among hip hop artists, Roy Ayers recalls leaving Polydor Records, Roy Ayers talks about organizing the musical group RAMP, Roy Ayers talks about his inspiration for 'Everybody Loves the Sunshine', Roy Ayers describes his friendship with Fela Kuti, Roy Ayers talks about the sampling of his music, Roy Ayers talks about founding Uno Melodic Records, Roy Ayers describes the musical style of his album, 'In the Dark', Roy Ayers recalls his collaboration with Lonnie Liston Smith, Roy Ayers remembers the honorary Roy Ayers Day in Los Angeles, California, Roy Ayers recalls performing at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London, England, Roy Ayers talks about the political messages of his music, Roy Ayers talks about his collaborations with hip hop artists, Roy Ayers reflects upon his creative process, Roy Ayers describes his plans for the future, Roy Ayers reflects upon his life and legacy, Occupation(s): Before Fame As the merger of hip-hop and jazz took hold in the early '90s, Ayers made a guest appearance on Guru's seminal Jazzmatazz album in 1993 and played at New York clubs with Guru and Donald Byrd. I remember exactly where I was standing at the front counter of the store and where she was standing above the C section, stapling up a poster. He and my mother were never really together. "Roy Ayers Sampled by Major Hip Hop Artists." As chairman and founder of a family owned Manufacturing Corporation and real estate holding company, Linda has overseen operations, acquisitions, and dispositions of considerable business holdings for over four decades. No Author. Ayers played drums in bands with friends from third grade through high school, expanding his musical repertoire and tastes along the way. ROY AYERS - black family 6,384 views Nov 16, 2013 88 Dislike Share Save giaSistaFunk 15.2K subscribers 1983 Show more Fela Kuti - Fela & Roy Ayers (LP) "Music Of Many Colours" Fela Kuti. He co-founded Seattles famed indie rock Sonic Boom Records store, which was sold in 2016. Much of the 51-year-old Ayers' journey comes from a mid-life crisis of sorts. According to our Database, He has no children. Lighting their menorah reminds him of his great-grandparents. Ayers has 3 known children Roy Ayers Jr, Nabil Ayers and Lauren Faith (Musician). I knew hed never be my father. When his mother attended the University of Massachusetts, they lived in family housing with families of different races, multi-ethnic and multi-racial kids and single parents. Print. Up first: deep house producer Milton Jackson talks shop, plugins, sample packs, and why you never want to see a livestream of him at work. A week before the show, I woke up to a missed call and a voicemail. Ayers was responsible for the highly regarded soundtrack to Jack Hill's 1973 blaxploitation film Coffy, which starred Pam Grier. Klicka p Avvisa alla om du inte vill att vi och vra partner ska anvnda cookies och personuppgifter fr dessa ytterligare ndaml. Along with sharing the report of Ayers hospitalization, Questlove said that Ayers is currently at home recovering according to the jazz musicians daughter. Los Angeles Times January 1, 2011: D.10. As the missing parts of his paternal identity became clearer, Ayers found that being biracial impacted his attempts at dating. I thought, Is this what Im going to look like in thirty years? Id played drums all my life, and I currently played in a band called the Long Winters. Then I called my mother, who demonstrated even more concern than earlier, before she asked the scariest question: What are you going to do if he doesnt show up?. Related In the photo, Roy is husky and solid, a bit shorter than me, with a full face that reminded me of what I looked like without glasses. I didnt need or want money from him. He co-founded Seattles famed indie rock Sonic Boom Records store, which was sold in 2016. How shed imagined his name in lights just like fellow vibraphonist Lionel Hampton and that shed eventually seen it. He's also walked up to the door at Electric Lady Studios at 52 W. Eighth St., where his father recorded many albums. [1] Ayers began his career as a post-bop jazz artist, releasing several albums with Atlantic Records, before his tenure at Polydor Records beginning in the 1970s, during which he helped pioneer jazz-funk. Print. And there were things I needed to know: his health history. At the age of four, Linda's love for TV's Lassie prompted her parents, Roy and Hazel Ayers to surprise her with a Collie. Fordham, John. Copyright 2022 by NabilAyers. He grew up in a musical family, where his father played trombone and his mother played piano. Mira L, Victor Simonelli, Carly Wilford, Maxime Dangles and more inside 5 Mag Issue 205, out now , OUR BEST OFFER: Buy a Full Year of 5 Mag for $2/month . Maxwell, Michele. Nichol, Alan. I felt like everybody contributed to my identity. "The Guide: Music: Roy Ayers Brecon, London." Best Family Reunion Movies; Most Iconic Scene from a Quentin Tarantino Movie; Nabil Ayers, longtime musician and industry figure, unpacks his family history in a new memoir. Roy Ayers, Soundtrack: Ant-Man. Flashback to 1970, when Louise Braufman, a white Jewish former ballerina working as a waitress in New York took one look at the rising African American jazz composer and vibraphonist and thought shed have a baby with him. It was a new, unfamiliar feeling as if someone had told me, Theres a set of beautiful, vintage drums sitting outside with a free sign on them. "To Put on Ayers Is Still Divine: Pioneering Vibe-ist on Tour with His Funky All-stars." Ive had so many great influences and parts of my life and my Jewish ancestors have been a huge, important, memorable part of that, he said. "Roy Ayers: Man of the Mallet and the Moment." 1, one of the first albums to combine a live jazz band with hip hop production. She is the proud mother of one son, Edward P. (Todd) Turner,III At the same time, Ayers work was remixed, covered, and sampled by the emerging hip hop generation that included such artists as Mos Def, Puff Daddy, and Mary J. Blige. Entdecke Roy Ayers - Schnelles Geld - Gebrauchte Vinyl-Schallplatte 12 - E7294A in groer Auswahl Vergleichen Angebote und Preise Online kaufen bei eBay Kostenlose Lieferung fr viele Artikel! Thus, Ayers' story, involving '70s New York jazz, '90s Pacific Northwest grunge, and '00s indie rock, is significant. Print. They were married in Hollywood four years ago in a Jewish wedding with a female rabbi. Oregon Public Radio reportedon Saturday that soul legend Roy Ayers had been "rushed to the hospital after arriving at Portland International Airport" on Saturday. American Red Star January 1, 1998: B.9. ), I have incredible memories of all these Jewish Brooklyn experiences as a mixed-race hippie kid who felt very connected to it, not so much in a religious way but very much in a cultural way, really loving and respecting it. From showing her Conrad Collies in juniors, to judging, to becoming a part of an immediate family of three AKC judges, her life has evolved around the sport of purebred dogs. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Aramedia Group Inc. About Us Showsight Magazine Team and History, Submit an Advertisement to Showsight Magazine, Contact Us Showsight Support & Business Inquiries, Remembering AKC Field Representative William Harold Holbrook, Been There, done that and going strong, George Alston celebrates 80 years, Dr. Carmen Battaglia Leads AKC Detection Dog Task Force, Candid Candidates Part Two: Delegates Seek Seats On The AKC Board Of Directors, Greenville Kennel Club Honors Fallen Hero Sgt. Be careful! When I was thirty-four, I started seeing a therapist for the first time. Roy Ayers UbiquityEverybody Loves The Sunshine A Verve Label Group Release; 1976 Universal Records, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc.Released on: 1976-05-12Producer, Associated Performer, Recording Arranger, Vocals: Roy AyersProducer: Maurice GreenStudio Personnel, Recording Engineer: James GreenStudio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Jerry SolomanAssociated Performer, Drums: Doug RhodesAssociated Performer, Electric Bass: John \"Shaun\" SolomonAssociated Performer, Guitar: Ronald \"Head\" DraytonAssociated Performer, Conga: Chano O'FerralAssociated Performer, Piano: Philip WooComposer Lyricist: Roy AyersAuto-generated by YouTube. Print. Print. Butler, Kate. Conley Jumper | Sgt. Nabil Ayers' memoir reflects on family, identity and his journey to connect with a Black father who was 'really just DNA' Nabil Ayers carries the surname of a famous father he barely knows, except in the ubiquitous music of Roy Ayers - most famously in the 1976 jazz-soul-funk album by that name featuring the hit " Everybody Loves the . "Jazz Review Roy Ayers: Jazz with a Soul Vibe." Thank you.. Print. Our conversation flowed. He later moved from a jazz-funk sound to R&B, as seen on Mystic Voyage, which featured the songs "Evolution" and the underground disco hit "Brother Green (The Disco King)", as well as the title track from his 1976 album Everybody Loves the Sunshine. Id always brushed off the idea of my father when someone brought him up, making sure they knew he wasnt a big deal to me. Her diverse companies have manufactured packaged goods for many household products you likely used in your homes, interior components for the automotive industry you enjoy in your cars, and industrial chemical products used in the electric utility industry. He attended many concerts as a young boy, sometimes seeing his father perform, which stoked his young ambitions. About the notion of "chosen family" and how it impacts his own life, Ayers adds: "Because I have emotionally struggled with how my father has not significantly been a part of my life but has shadowed my existence in so many ways connecting with people who have various connections with him has become essential in fostering the semblance of my relationship to him via his life and work.".