Im in the process of upgrading and again are assessing the two companies. Theres no storage limit other than that of the server itself. The + are high end models, will run Plex with quite a bit of transcoding and multiple streams, all while running other packages like VPN server and a database or other packages. Thanks. Afterward, all data and most settings of the old server will be present in the new one. More than enough HP but it . Though all that might be cost-prohibitive. For movies, I'll just name the film as it is. On these hardware restrictions, a representative from Synology recently told me: [] We continue to want to raise the standard for validating compatibility between drives and our units to ensure consistent and reliable operation for our solutions. Then I am not sure how much storage it will give me. Theres also a search function that will look among BitTorrent sources for what you want. The prevailing sentiment from all the reading I've done and the YouTube videos I've watched is that you should not rely on expansion. Explaining a RAID in words is nigh impossible so if you'd like to learn more I highly recommend this video by NASCompares. On general and network-attached storage (NAS). Question about the NAS servers. To use it, you need to install the server app from the Package Center. In your discussion of the available apps I did not see mention of a good encryption app. I have always been the type of person who built and ran their own file server. 2. use something other than space. As for the RAID, check out this portion of the post. Ive tried to put each story in a separate folder - within a folder called time slip, ive tried the original file naming convention (S01 . Thank you for that. You can still use any drive with Synology, they are just not supported if something happens and got get a passive warning the drive health check still works, by the way. These are said to have the best price/performance ratio. It protects your data so that if one hard drive fails and you're using the appropriate RAID type you can recover your data. There are options to have both with Synology right now but youll have to pay for their enterprise servers which are a lot more expensive. But in this case, the accessories can be pretty expensive. I'm not the original creator of that TV Show data, however. The DS1019+ should be on your short list, especially if want to use it as a Plex or other video server within the environment. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Theres also the DS cloud mobile app for your phone/tablet. I do know that the play versions have a hardware chip for transcoding video on the fly when using the DS Video app on your Synology box for streaming media to your other devices. Oh wait, let's throw on the tinfoil hat for a moment. Saturday, March 4, 2023 Welcome to the , Extra: Synology servers and their volume size limits, Volume, disk, partition, file system, and more, The leading letters in a Synology NAS servers name, The number part in a Synology NAS servers name, The ending letters/characters in a Synology NAS servers name, Synology NAS server: State-of-the-art operating system, Synology DSMs applicable core settings and features, Advanced storage and user management, with 2-Factor Authentication login, QuickConnect, VPN, DHCP, Dynamic DNS, DNS, and so on, Synology NAS server: Well-thought-out, practical applications, Snapshot and Replication: The ultimate ransomware protection, Extra: Step to migrate to a new or different Synology NAS server, Comparatively high cost, Gigabit by default, expensive upgrades, NAS Server Explained: Redundancy (RAID) and Network Attached Storage Basics. Over the last few years I have seen nothing but widespread acclaim for proprietary network-attached storage (NAS) devices. Or could I use 5 drives with 4TB each for a total 20 TB of storage and 10 TB mirrored? Actually Ive read this post twice and several more of your Synology posts. The D is for a standalone "desk top" model and the R is for a rack mountable model. You can keep using them. Now I only keep about a couple of dozen from Synology in my fleet. Hi Dong: Download Station is the best way to download anything from any source. Plex media naming conventions There is a specific format that you must use to arrange your media in order to have Plex identify it. We have seen in the past where a third-party drive maker has validated drives and then later updates their firmware without telling us so that their drives are no longer compatible. With options ranging from NAS to DAS, Thunderbolt to SAS and connecting everything up so you can access all your lovely data at the touch of button can be a lot simpler than you think. It automatically organizes movies and TV shows and casts them on the DS Video app, which is available on many platforms, including iOS, Android, Roku, Xbox, Fire Stick, etc. The list below is based on the information from Synology. There are a couple of extra suffixes too. Can you tell me if Synology can do this? Youll have another 3 or five years before you have to think about replacing them. 1. https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/16/post/127155, https://miketabor.com/secure-public-wifi-using-synology-vpn-server/. This app is one of the many streaming features of a Synology NAS. Itd be more sensible of Synology to include the number of default camera licenses according to the number of drive bays a 2-bay server has two, a 4-bay server has four, and so on. I have QNAP based and they try and do to much. . Nothing for "value series" (DS414, play series is part of value series). It could well be that the parser has improved/changed since I wrote that though so I still appreciate the post! Today, we have millions of users a month from around the world, and assess more than 1,000 products a year. On the other hand, the Snapshot portion is a must-use. Slide to complete the puzzle * Use 8 or more characters. Connect the server to your router or switch using a network cable and turn it on. This file name convention is. So let's take my criteria, desktop form factor with 8 drive bays, and plug it into Synology's product list I get three models: DS1817, DS1819+, DS1821+. Indeed, I used to have servers from different vendors WD, QNAP, Netgear, Lacie, Asus, and TerraMaster, to name a few. Upgrading your RAM means your NAS simply has that much more space to store files in fast memory rather than reading from disk. However, since AMD CPUs dont include a graphics processing unit (GPU), the new servers are less suitable for native video transcoding. The supplied disks tend to be WD Red models, which are designed to be used specifically with a NAS. Mine gets thousands of attempts a day and I have done quite a few things to mitigate that. Privacy Policy. I noted that in this post, William, and the review of the DS923+. MODULES - Movies Naming - TV Shows Naming - TV Shows Releases - Metadata Scanner METADATA PROVIDER But yes, Synology has slowly going the Apple route in hardware control. Your best bet is to start with the latest model year for the number of drive bays you want and work backwards from there. They greatly reduce the burden of maintenance and also provide a lot of interesting functionality that would be a pain in the ass to configure on your own file server. If you are purchasing a NAS you are going to want to use a RAID because protection of your data should be paramount. In all, the combo of the 2-step verification for login and Snapshot means you can rely on your Synology server to keep your data safe against malicious changes. Your email address will not be published. I also have units from QNAP, Netgear and even a Lenovo and the Synologies seem to max out gigabit with the least effort. Instead, write Synology NAS servers or Synology NAS devices. Thank you Dong! Hi Dong, Im very curious why you did not comment on the usefulness of Photo Station / Moments. I have a bunch of TV shows (some single season, some multi-season) that Video Station has done a terrible job of cataloguing. Plus series is the more powerful one with Intel CPUs and more RAM. Go to Settings > Video Info Plugin. () If you represent a company/product mentioned here, please use the contact page or a PR channel. I went outside of the Synology family for the first time in over a decade last year (for performance we do live streaming and ProRes recordings are slow to transfer). Any help would be great. Then from within Network you will see the field Server Name. Download Station will come in handy if you need a large file that takes a long time to download, such as an ISO file of a Linux distro. Bought a QNAP TVS series Performance was stellar and having Thunderbolt 3 connectivity was cool, along with 10GBaseT performance. Video Type: Select which type of videos you want to put in the folder. At the time that I bought my Synology (a DS1513+), I wasn't looking in the 2-4 bay versions where you find most of those suffixes to the model, so I didn't worry much about figuring out what they mean. A lot of the new Synology models tout the ability to install M.2 NVMe hard drives as cache drives under the guise that they will make accessing your data faster. The 3 are similar specs-wise, Pete. That leaves us with the sweet spot of 4 to 8 drive bays. Supports privilege settings of domain/LDAP users' and groups' access to shared folders and applications. I hope that helps! Including a server package and client apps, Synology Drive turns the NAS into a personal cloud server, like Dropbox, but much better. Naming guidelines for movies and TV episodes are as below: Movie - It should follow the format: Movie name (Release year).ext. Very close. Hi Mike, I think users are supposed to keep their servers updated. Another thorny issue with Synology is that its servers use Gigabit ports by default theres no built-in Multi-Gig port. I was impressed. As always I really appreciate your engagement with your readers and your expertise youre willing to share. I believe they are the same thing, Anthony. Its recommended that you (think of) replacing them every 3 or 5 years, depending on the type you use. This is more of a warning than a mandatory step but don't worry about upgrading the RAM before you turn your NAS on for the first time. Diagnosis Proceed to Resolution if all the following conditions are met: The file or folder name is correctly displayed in DSM > File Station. Naming conventions result in improvements in terms of "four Cs": communication, code integration, consistency and clarity. As mentioned above, the Surveillance Station is one of the most useful apps, and it works well, especially with the latest version available in DSM 7.1. That, plus the QuickConnect feature, means you can use your smartphone or tablet to access your server from anywhere. Welcome aboard, Dale. Go to DSM Control Panel > Login Portal > Applications. The following are a handful of popular apps, any one of which alone is enough to justify the cost of a server. Hopefully this article proved as useful for you reading as it was for me writing it. Beyond that are xs and xs+ models. DX/RX for Disk/Rack Expansion. The DS220+ can do that, Mur, and the DS720+ makes little difference unless you want to expand to more drives later. So let's assume we are going to use a Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) and we're looking at that sweet spot of 4 to 8 drive bays. Increasingly, many servers give you the option for a 10GbE Ethernet upgrade. The unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts. Fictional beverages. I hope you can use it and be happy with it! Once youve had that, its hard to turn back. The most reductive way to describe a RAID would be that it allows you to combine multiple hard drives into a bigger one that provides protection for your data if one of those hard drives fails. Also, in the later model years the RAM is error correction code (ECC) memory. Id call that a negative many people lost thousands of files and data. Again, its just like any Windows or Mac OS. As for software, NAS servers are generally not for novice users who want something plug-and-play. It is at this point in time that I cannot really make any concrete suggestions because this is an entirely subjective decision based on how much storage you think you'll need and how many hard drives you're comfortable purchasing. Movies (Advanced Option) This is where you will set the naming convention for the folder that contains the video file. For more, check out my full review of the Surveillance Station. This allows sorting alphabetically into chronological order. Unless you know what the words "rack mount" mean there is no way you are going to want anything other than the desktop form factor. In these cases, Synology adds a + suffix. This powerful business feature allows the NAS server to be part of a network with a Windows Server. No doubt it is a well explained review about NAS server but my point here is that why someone prefer nas server on nas appliance. Starting with DSM 7, Synology sheds support for third-party USB dongles. Devices with a 10GB Eth plugged into a 10/100 device (switch, PC, etc.) 9 mo. Select Video Station and click Edit. The Synology supports encryption itself for the entire volume which you can turn on or off depending on your needs. Great to see the concepts, and most of the options and terminology all in one place. NAS Selector. A very important point I want to make is that being low on this list does not mean bad. With heavy use of the ip camera recording. Youre welcome, Brian. Consequently, you can only use a servers USB ports to host storage devices, such as portable drives. I manage 6 Synology NAS and have had much better durability and less instance of bad sectors with Exos. Undo the bond and try again, this time with a bit of attention. The S is for the primary unit (you need at least one of these) and the X is for the expansion unit. Luckily Synology published a list of possible combinations on their forum here: Synology Video Station TV Show Naming Convention. Theres also a +II model, the DS216+II, which is identical to the DS216+ but has a newer processor, as Intel discontinued the old chip. Lot's of people keep asking if they can buy me a beer or a coffee for helping so here's my PayPal. Heres my questions We had a ds414j running 3x3TB disks as one SHR volume. You now know everything you need to buy your Synology NAS so go ahead and pull the trigger. normal i would put it under specials S00E## but i have two problems with that there are extras for every season and the other issue is there where already Special for the TV show, Scroll down to Tips for naming video files. Sure, Georgiy. I decided to go with an 8 bay NAS and 10TB hard drives. However, each Synology server includes just two camera licenses out of the box that cant be moved from one server to another. If a drive has a S.M.A.R.T error or bad sectors, its time to replace it. With a wide range of Synology products to offer, we seek to make the selection process as easy and smooth as possible. Most importantly, it just not reliable. The following are best practices for file naming. Essentially what you're doing is trying to avoid buying a whole batch of faulty hard drives that just happened to go to a single retailer. Ive been using this for years and once you get used to it, its very powerful you can even rename multiple folders full of filenames at once, trim white space, search/replace and if youre really hardcore, use Regular Expressions. Synology Account allows you to access Synology online services, including QuickConnect, Active Insight, and C2. So if we go forward setting up a fresh SHR with new hdds on the existing, recently purchased 420j, will I be correct that a safe way to move is to run a full hyperbackup to C2 and set it to run everynight to update files that have changed AND also get her to start saving files also to the external HDD I am adding to our setup? It will leave you with no room for expansion and barely let you take advantage of the benefits of a Synology NAS. If you see a max drive listed in the specs, that means thats the top capacity of HDDs available at the time of the servers release. Accessing the server directly means you wont need to store data on the computer, which is great if you want to share the same data with others in the network or your computer has limited space. So yes thats the case. Cause Video Station seem to be fetching the old info still, resulting to episodes not showing up in Video Station. Unfortunately no one has mentioned about alternatives against the lack of Plex hardware transcoding support. Those who are confused with the Synology product naming conventions can use this as a guide: "+" series = performance range. Sure you can get the latest year which is going to have all the bells and whistles but you're gonna pay a premium. Synology tends to change this each year with its range refresh, so in the past few years weve had DS212, DS213, DS214 and DS215, for example. Should we use Cloud Station, should we check and replace disks if necessary and build a fresh shr volume? Sometimes different seasons are set up as separate instances of the show, sometimes even different episodes show up separately. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. RAID rebuilding is stressful, and the process might push old drives to fail. Most available (and realistically priced) generations of enterprise hardware can be had for bargain basement prices (given normal caveats on purchasing from vendors you trust and knowing what you are actually purchasing) on etailers like Ebay. Bob is a Founder of Seguro Ltd, a full time father and husband, part-time tinkerer-with-wires, coder, Muay Thai practitioner, builder and cook. Every Synology NAS follows the same naming convention: Starts with two letters representing the form factor. I have not yet had success in retrieving metadata. This works for models such as the DS116 (one drive bay) and DS216 and DS416 but youll occasionally come across a model that doesnt fit this format the DS1515, for example, has five bays. Ive worked on most Synology home and SMB servers, starting with the first servers released over a decade ago. Name: Enter a name for the newly-added library. At code reviews, we can focus on important design decisions or program flow rather than argue about naming. Maybe someone else can fill in the details that I'm not as familiar with. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. But as I got older and time became more precious, I began to hate all of the maintenance those servers required. That is why I said that picking the number of drive bays is going to be the most important decision. However, that turned out to be the fault of Intels chip, and Synology promptly replaced mine for free, even though it had already been out of warranty. My people also use the ones in their homes for local time machine backups (we synch some of them) as well as as a DVR in places where theres great OTA TV service like Dallas and LA. So my question to you paraphrasing Mr. W.C. Fields apocryphal epitaph: All things being equal between a DIY Rackmount with up to 36 Bays and your Synology solutions, which would you choose? My personal opinion is that everyone should start with the Plus series and if it is two expensive then drop down to Value. By the way, this post on how to conserve Internet bandwidth might apply to your situation. Why are we talking about drive bays instead of hard drives? This function works within the local network or over the Internet (via QuickConnect or a Dynamic DNS connection). https://dongknows.com/synology-surveillance-station-review/. (What Id love to see is a Synology version of the QNAP TBS-453DX to use at events. I cut my NAS teeth on a DS1512+ at work several years ago. Log in!Click here if you need help allowing ads! Granted that Synology makes a fair home product, and while the Software and Applications are nice, you can get the same performance (or better in most cases) along with more expandable storage options (if you are willing to invest the time) in a DIY server running ZFS/BTRFS and FreeNAS or Unraid and all of the Apps that Synology has, has an open source counterpart and you are not forced to choose between cache options and networking options. Of the many Synology NAS servers Ive used, I had issues with just one, the DS1515+, which died after almost four years of non-stop operation. a movie split across multiple files)? I have been putting my Inspector Montalbano/Commissario Montalbano TV series in a /video/Italian TV/ folder identified in VS as Italian TV library with Italiano as the language. According to networking standards, 10GB Eth is only backwards compatible to 1GB Eth. The best thing I can tell you there is to look at the product page for them to see if it supports and expansion unit to find out how many bays it can actually support. There seems to be some logic in this. Most of the time, the first number denotes how many drive bays are in the NAS. Is there a delay to the database update? But thanks to the stellar DSM operating system, you still pay for what you get in most cases. red robin mr beast menu 2015 chevy equinox windshield replacement cost asian soap sex at hellofreshcomgetoffer central cee song 2022 parts of a pussy pump Cheers! Hi Dong, That vulnerability had been patched a long time before it was an issue. I cant find a Settings entry to alphabetize the titles. Thatd take too long, Wee. Maybe a period or an underscore. 2. Synologys VMM is one of the most powerful NAS add-on features. So it seems some of my older units are from 2013 and 2015and you know what, theyre still awesome on dsm 6 for just being storage, easily maxing out gigabit even with a single drive. , It is still a huge issue, having your NAS constantly attacked. It simply means the capabilities are less than the series above them. This will allow me to get a lot of storage with just four hard drives but leave me plenty of room for expansion. I that a default fault, or does the folder need to be reindexed? There are just too many apps. I dont know anyone that watches based on alphabetical order of the titles, however I would like to either start at the beginning of the series or watch the 5th episode. Do you want to spend more money on features that you'll probably never use but can feel good that you have? All you need to do is register a unique name. My major concern when opting to use software vs hardware RAID is reliability of consumer grade HW RAID controllers. One thing kept me up at night trying to figure out why, was it never put the disks to sleep and even after disabling everything but the absolute minimum features/software, it still had a process (to do with RAID) doing a tiny write every few seconds. Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel! I didnt mean to scare folks from any RAID, just wanted to set the expectations straight. After that, the first time you turn the new server on, youll be prompted to upgrade the OS, like in step #4 above, to the latest version of DSM built for the model.